From critically acclaimed storytelling to powerful photography to engaging videos — the Detroit Free Press app delivers the local news that matters most to your community.
• Access all of our in-depth journalism, including things to do around town, sports coverage from high school to the pros, and much more.
• Enjoy a streamlined, fast-loading experience that makes it easy to view the stories, photos, and videos that matter to you.
• Get breaking news, sports scores, and weather alerts with real-time notifications tailored to your interests.
• Customize your experience by saving your favorite stories, adjusting text size, using night mode, or reading offline.
• This app is free to download and all users can access a sampling of free articles every month.
• For unlimited access to all content, subscribe now and get 3 months for just 99¢ per month ($9.99/month after), or $69.99 annually. If you are already a subscriber, you can sign in with your existing subscription.
• Subscriptions are charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and automatically renew each month or year, unless turned off in your iTunes account settings at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage your subscriptions and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your iTunes Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription, where applicable. See "Subscription Support" in the app's Settings for more details and customer service contact information.
• Terms of Service: http://cm.freep.com/terms/
• Questions or Comments: email@example.com
• We've made updates to our iOS 14 widget for a cleaner experience
• And as always, some bug fixes and performance improvements along the way.
Ratings and Reviews
Great mobile newspaper app!
I normally will not read newspapers on line, but the Free Press app is really easy to read and find what section you want. This is the best newspaper app that I have and I definitely will keep reading it!
My complaint I'm now having is that the advice column is terrible - sometimes there aren't any new questions for days - my Oakland Press has new ones daily in Dear Abby....sigh!
Line Dancing Grandma
The advice columns aren't any better....they disappear for days - what happens?.
I just changed the number of review stars to one...why, because again and again columns are disappearing, especially the advice columns!! I will close the app if this doesn’t clear up. This has gone on for days - I have been a Free Press reader for years and really like this app since we go to Florida.
This app is getting worse and worse! Is there a reason why certain sections are not updated daily! I will no longer recommend this app to my snowbird friends from the Detroit area - please do not ask me to rate this app again unless you’ve fixed this problem!
Now I can’t even read the regular sections! There’s a title, but when I click on it, there’s a blank screen with black photo squares. This is a horrible app and I’m going! to need to cancel it! This is happening again - HELP!
Love the app, hate the update
Thoroughly enjoy using the app and having access to great content. However since the last update I’ve been experiencing an issue. If I’m in the middle of an article and my phone lock screen comes on (e.g. if I don’t touch the screen for a certain amount of time), when I swipe back in the article automatically returns to the beginning/top of the page. Very annoying for longer articles having to go back through and find my place. Please fix!
Free Press review
I truly enjoy the DFP and now that I’m retired, can leisurely read it from page 1 to the end. Especially look forward to Mitch Albom’s column—it’s not just the news, he gives brain stimulating insight into the stories he shares with his readers; truly a special hometown treasure. God bless and let’s all pray to whatever god we believe in, that he/she guides us out of this calamity that challenges all of us.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 195.5 MB
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
English, Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2021 Gannett Co., Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Detroit Free Press Digital $9.99
- Ad-Free Monthly $2.99
- Annual Digital Subscription $69.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.