Draw Maps gives you color pens and pencils to make sketches and take notes anywhere in the map. Add map pins and photos to note important locations. Think of the whole world as being your sketch pad. Move around and zoom to different scales as you draw. Share your maps with friends.
Use Draw Maps at work, school, and play:
- Planning your next vacation
- Designing landscapes
- Detailing event logistics
- Noting underground utilities
- Reporting storm damage
- Recording wildlife sightings
- Remembering your favorite fishing holes
- Tracing hiking trails
- Geocaching and scavenger hunts
- Learning geography by tracing borders
- Taking field notes
- Giving directions to your friend
- Draw and highlight in the map
- Place colored map pins in the map and add long form notes
- Place photos in the map
- Draw and highlight in the photos
- 72 colors
- Use the stencil to draw perfect shapes or labels
- Move and zoom the map as needed while you draw
- Zoom to your location to take a note where you are
- Zoom to other locations using Find
- Send images of your map drawings to other people
- Send your Draw Maps Document to another Draw Maps user
- Archive your Draw Maps Document to online storage
- Send KML (Pro feature)
- Make as many maps as you like (Pro feature)
- Ready for Apple Pencil
Thank you for your feedback. New in this release:
- Free for drawing in one map.
- Free for viewing unlimited maps received from other people.
- Unlock pro features with in-app purchase.
Ratings and Reviews
Not bad, but some frustrating limitations
I really love the concept of this app. I’m in the middle of a real estate search, and being able to easily mark up maps for areas we’re interested in is very useful. However, there are a few limitations of this app that I find arbitrary and frustrating.
First, method for typing text onto the map, with the silly stencil thing, is awkward and slow. Why can’t I just create a text box, select a font face, size, and color, and start typing?
Secondly, while there are a lot of colors available, they are each limited to a specific drawing tool. So if I want to use the highlighter tool, I am limited to the 8 pre-configured highlighter colors. I’d really like to be able to choose any color for any drawing tool.
Finally, the width of the writing stroke doesn’t scale with the zoom of the map. So if I’m trying to highlight streets, the widths of the highlighter mark are different depending on how zoomed in I was when I made a particular mark. I can definitely see how this would be the desired behavior in some use cases, but in mine (and being as much of a perfectionist as I am), it’s super frustrating. I find myself trying to meticulously zoom to a specific level before drawing to make sure my pen strokes all look the same in the final product.
All that said, this is a useful and easy-to-use app, and I’m glad I found it!
I use the app for mapping out projects for a pavement marking biz. Only a couple things I’d like to see:
1)Measuring tool for measuring a path along a route.
2)To be able to share edits with others that have the app without having to send through email. Sometimes we have multiple crews working off the same map and if we could all see each other’s edits it would be great.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We totally agree. Measuring tools and live sharing are planned for future releases. FYI, Draw Maps for ArcGIS (the red icon version) provides live sharing now.
Amazing and fun drawing app for Apple Maps!
I’m always looking to support cool new Mac apps and their developers. I found another one!
Being a fisherman on a bike, traveling by Metro North to different reservoirs north of NYC, it is imperative that I map out shortcuts to cut down on the big hills and driving against traffic.
This app fits my purposes perfectly!
There are a couple things I’d like to see:
1) a smaller eraser size
2) the highlighter and all three sizes like the pens
Why? Because when you’re drawing with the highlighter it is translucent and doesn’t cover up the street names and the line is smoother.
The developer, Worth Sparks, got back to me within a day of my questions and is taking my feature requests into consideration. I would’ve given this application a four star rating but part of my rating has always been customer support, thus the five star rating!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Bluefield GIS, Inc.
- 22.1 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai
- Age Rating
- © 2017 - 2021 Bluefield GIS, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Pro features $1.99
- Pro features $24.99
- Pro features $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.