Download Emergency!, an all-hazard app, by the American Red Cross. Receive accurate information on time to protect yourself and your loved ones from climate-affected hazards.
• App is free and available in English and Spanish.
• Monitor alerts for severe weather, including tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, and many more.
• Improved alert speed.
• Customize your alerts and push notifications.
• Enable critical alerts that can override the Do Not Disturb mode on your device.
• Find open Red Cross shelters with our interactive map.
• Map overlays include Hurricane Tracker, Radar, Satellite, Clouds, Rain, Wind Speed, Snow
• Access Red Cross safety content even without mobile connectivity.
Climate change is causing more extreme weather events. We rebuilt the Emergency app to help you prepare. It includes:
• 40 different customizable emergency alerts.
• Step-by-step guides to help you prepare.
• An accessible experience.
• An improved user experience for Spanish speakers with an easy-to-find language toggle and weather alerts in Spanish.
• An improved interactive map.
Ratings and Reviews
Used to be useful…
…But has gotten intrusive and annoying lately. The app now has a gray bar on the locations screen that says:
Critical Alerts Disabled
Learn more to never miss an alert
…That leads to unhelpful, irrelevant FAQs if you tap it, even though I have all alerts enabled and push notifications. There is no way to dismiss this gray bar or even understand why it is there.
Furthermore, it made me choose a "home" location for no discernible reason when I opened the app today, even though I monitor several locations. Creepy and made more suspect when the app asks for camera permissions when you try to attach a screenshot in their feedback form, and fails to attach and disables the attachment button if camera permissions are not granted.
Worst of all, the alert notifications do not display a location, so you have to tap them or open the app to find out where the incident is. A huge, unnecessary pain for people like me that monitor multiple locations, as the app encourages you to do.
If I hear back from the development team I will update this review, but for now, three stars is generous.
Amazing helpful alerts
Where I live was hit by a devastating tornado last year and almost nobody in town received any weather alerts or if they did it was to late for them to take cover. There were many homes and lives lost that night. Since then we have all been searching for better apps to gives us alerts. I mean counting this one, I have 11 weather apps on my phone. That’s how traumatizing the events of last year were for myself and so many others. Out of all of my apps this is the ONLY ONE that sends me alerts consistently and early enough to prepare. If I do receive notifications from any of my other apps it is always well after I’ve already heard from this one. I have used our towns Facebook page to recommend this weather app to everyone so we can stay safe! ❤️
Very good app, with some minor complaints
This is what I consider as the best app for its purpose, out of those that I am aware of. It presents a quality interface and breadth of information, with links to additional useful resources. It is very good at providing timely notifications on any monitored locations, which the user can define, and does so in an effective, concise format.
The primary complaint I have is the collection of personally-identifiable information, which I consider completely unnecessary for the app’s stated purpose. I can understand the developer’s desire, and possible need, to collect anonymous, non-personally identifiable information, but no more than that.
To the developer: please change your data collection practices, as suggested above.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- American Red Cross
- 104.5 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2020 The American National Red Cross