Emergency: Alerts 4+
American Red Cross
Designed for iPad
Download Emergency!, an all-hazard app, by the American Red Cross. Receive accurate information on time to protect yourself and your loved ones from climate-affected hazards.
• App is free and available in English and Spanish.
• Monitor alerts for severe weather, including tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, and many more.
• Improved alert speed.
• Customize your alerts and push notifications.
• Enable critical alerts that can override the Do Not Disturb mode on your device.
• Find open Red Cross shelters with our interactive map.
• Map overlays include Hurricane Tracker, Radar, Satellite, Clouds, Rain, Wind Speed, Snow
• Access Red Cross safety content even without mobile connectivity.
• Improved signposting and tooltips to help you customize your alerts quickly.
• Tooltip that explains how monitored areas are calculated.
• NOAA canceled alerts will no longer be received as a push notification but displayed as an in-app alert only.
• Changed the default radius to 1 mile to eliminate seemingly ‘duplicate’ alerts.
• Increase additional monitored locations to 8.
• Help you track your preparedness level by showing you how many prepare modules you completed as a percentage of those assigned to you.
Ratings and Reviews
Used to be useful…
…But has gotten intrusive and annoying lately. The app now has a gray bar on the locations screen that says:
Critical Alerts Disabled
Learn more to never miss an alert
…That leads to unhelpful, irrelevant FAQs if you tap it, even though I have all alerts enabled and push notifications. There is no way to dismiss this gray bar or even understand why it is there.
Furthermore, it made me choose a "home" location for no discernible reason when I opened the app today, even though I monitor several locations. Creepy and made more suspect when the app asks for camera permissions when you try to attach a screenshot in their feedback form, and fails to attach and disables the attachment button if camera permissions are not granted.
Worst of all, the alert notifications do not display a location, so you have to tap them or open the app to find out where the incident is. A huge, unnecessary pain for people like me that monitor multiple locations, as the app encourages you to do.
If I hear back from the development team I will update this review, but for now, three stars is generous.
Great but needs work on the locations/radius!
Great app, and I love the fact that I can monitor multiple things in just one app, but it needs some work! I wish the locations and radius were better, like in the Tornado app!! This app includes the entire county for a location, not just specific zip codes which I think is better!! Especially when dealing with tropical systems like hurricanes, as my inland area often has different advisories/watches/warnings than my county’s coastal areas (speaking from nearly 40yrs of living in South FL!)!!! Plus it doesn’t even include smaller towns, and you can’t even edit your radius!!!! I monitor all of my family’s locations (and I have a lot!), and some friends too. Well for instance one family member lives in the Upper FL Keys, and you don’t even have their island when I tried to add it! In the tornado app you do have their island, but this app doesn’t AND includes the Entire FL Keys when adding an Upper Key you do have!🤦🏻♀️ Which when dealing with tropical systems like I mentioned earlier is NOT good, especially as The Lower, Middle & Upper Key’s are often spilt into different watches/warnings!! So I would appreciate fixing that please, especially before hurricane season!!! Other than that great job!!!!👍
Amazing helpful alerts
Where I live was hit by a devastating tornado last year and almost nobody in town received any weather alerts or if they did it was to late for them to take cover. There were many homes and lives lost that night. Since then we have all been searching for better apps to gives us alerts. I mean counting this one, I have 11 weather apps on my phone. That’s how traumatizing the events of last year were for myself and so many others. Out of all of my apps this is the ONLY ONE that sends me alerts consistently and early enough to prepare. If I do receive notifications from any of my other apps it is always well after I’ve already heard from this one. I have used our towns Facebook page to recommend this weather app to everyone so we can stay safe! ❤️
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- American Red Cross
- 128.2 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2020 The American National Red Cross