Forward Chess is an Interactive reader of chess books. Play through the lines in the book, or try your own, it's like having a chess board and a chess book in the palm of your hand.
Forward Chess includes the ability to purchase over 100 chess eBooks through our In-App Store. Check it out. Our collection is growing weekly!
Forward Chess also contains the following subscription options
- ChessPublishing's monthly periodical for the latest in opening theory
- We offer a choice of 4 different auto-renewing subscriptions
- 1 Section for 1 Year @ $19.99 USD
- 3 Sections for 1 Year @ $39.99 USD
- 6 Sections for 1 Year @ $69.99 USD
- 12 Sections for 1 Year @ $99.99 USD
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
Added books from two new publishers:
- Everyman Chess
- Elk and Ruby
More about publishers on www.everymanchess.com and www.elkandruby.com
Ratings and Reviews
Problems coordinating pc and iPad
This app has most of what you need to read chessbooks without a board and pieces. Built in engine. For a short time this app had the first built in engine, but now Everyman and others have included engines.
Selection of books is good.
I mostly use Forward Chess on my iPad. I have had difficulty finding all the books I bought on iPad when I open Forward Chess on the computer.
Has potential, needs more work
Apps like this have the potential to make reading a chess book way more convenient, because you can always see the current position.
This is a good start but it’s just a beginning, it needs more work.
As far as bugs are concerned, it does not remember correctly the location on the page when restarting the app. On a chapter with ~ 10 games, it’s not easy to find the place to continue.
Also, it loses the current position when double-tapping to go full screen (or return from full screen).
In terms of features, the main thing I miss is some kind of visual indication that there’s text to read after the current move. Imagine I watch the board and then tap the Next button to advance through the game. Unless I check the notation after every move (very distracting) I would miss the move comment. True, there’s a dialog for variations, but that’s not the same thing. Some commented moves don’t have variation. A change in color, some dot lighting up somewhere would mean a lot in terms of convenience.
Awesome ! Deserves 10 stars !!
Many good updates since some of the older comments. This is my favorite for reading chess books.
Interactive board with books,you can add notes, and bookmarks.
- WiTechnoME LLC
- 36.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2013-2019 ForwardChess
- In-App Purchases
- True Lies in Chess Free
- Chess Structures - A Grandmaster Guide $19.99
- 100 Endgames You Must Know $17.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.