Drafts, where text starts. Quickly capture text and send it almost anywhere!
## Now Available for Mac! ##
App of the Day, TIME Magazine's Best Apps!
MacStories "Best App Updates" selection!
Drafts lets you turn text into action – it’s a quick notebook, handy editor, and writing automation tool, all in one. Instead of tapping around other apps, capture in Drafts first. Open it and write right away, then do something useful with your words.
## HOW DRAFTS WORKS ##
Drafts opens to a new page with the keyboard ready so you can type immediately. Go hands-free with Dictation, or ask Siri to "Create a note using Drafts".
Drafts lets you get things down before you forget – no choosing document templates or waiting for your file to download.
USE YOUR WORDS:
Drafts is a launching-off point for text – use the actions to copy it, share it, or deep link into other apps and services. Compose a tweet or message, create a file in Dropbox, send a task off to Reminders – there are hooks into tons of your favorite apps.
REMEMBER IT NOW – OR LATER:
New entries go into the Inbox. Once there, you can Tag them for organization, Flag them for importance, or Archive them for long-term storage.
TAKE TEXT TO A NEW LEVEL:
Set up a text editing experience that’s perfect for you, with tons of interface adjustments like custom fonts and control over spacing, line height, and margins.
Use the customizable extended row above the keyboard to quickly convert, manipulate, and transform your writing. Make lists, use Markdown to get things just right.
Process your drafts quickly using unique features like Link Mode, Arrange Mode, and Focus Mode.
## WHY YOU’LL LOVE DRAFTS ##
IT WILL CHANGE HOW YOU USE YOUR DEVICES:
Drafts gives you a new approach to using your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, letting you write first and think about what to do with it later. Try it in your dock for a week, you'll find you can't live without it.
GETTING WORDS DOWN HAS NEVER BEEN EASIER:
Drafts opens lightning fast and with support for capture via Siri, the widget, share extension, file import, and dictation - Drafts is like post-its updated for the smartphone era.
Actions make Drafts a Swiss Army knife for text. Integrate with a bewildering array of apps and services.
## JOIN THE COMMUNITY ##
Check out our Action Directory (actions.getdrafts.com) for ready-to-use actions for third party apps and services. Join the Drafts Community (forums.getdrafts.com) to get help, integration guides and a regular flow of tips & tricks.
## DRAFTS PRO ##
Get more out of Drafts with a Drafts Pro subscription:
• Create and Edit Actions
• Themes and Icons - suit the experience to your tastes with Dark theme, custom app icon, and more
• Workspaces - Apply preferred tag, query, and sort settings for your drafts list with Workspaces
• Extra widgets and better share extension options
• Enhanced Automation
We are always working hard to expand the capabilities of Drafts and up-to-date with the latest technologies. Your support helps keep the app growing – thank you to Drafts Pro subscribers!
Contact us on Twitter at @draftsapp or email email@example.com.
UPGRADING FROM DRAFTS 4?
Drafts installs as a new app and will not affect your existing Drafts 4 installation. Check out getdrafts.com/upgrade for details on migrating.
## SUBSCRIPTION DETAILS ##
• Monthly and annual subscriptions are available
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase
• Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is disabled at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period
• Automatic renewals will be charged at the same price you were originally charged for the subscription
• Subscriptions can be managed or cancelled by going to Account Settings on the App Store after purchase
Big update! Ready for the new OS, and with some great new features! Highlights below. For complete changelog with documentation links, visit: https://docs.getdrafts.com/docs/misc/changelog-ios
# Design Refresh and Updates
Significant visual and functional refresh throughout the app. In many places, menus are used more effectively, especially on iOS 14.
Added support for iOS 14 Widgets. Drafts ships with two types of widget, each available in multiple sizes:
- Grid Widget: Widgets that can appear in any widget size, with configurable elements that link to workspaces (including default, with inbox counts), pre-defined commands (new, dictate, search, etc.), or any action from your action list.
- List Widget: Displays the top drafts from the configurable workspace (include default "inbox" workspace).
# Workspace and Filtering Changes
- Workspace date ranges: It is now possible to configure start and end dates for a workspace.
- Show search preview: option in drafts list and workspaces. When enabled, if a text search is active in the search field, the body preview displayed in the list will change to show line numbers and text snippets previewing where the match terms appear in the draft to provide additional context when searching.
- The tag filter pane can now be set to "Show All Tags" (the previous default), or "Only Tags in Current Filter". The later is a new option that filters the list of available tags to only show tags assigned to at least one draft in the current query in the draft list.
# Action Versioning
When editing actions, there is now a version history feature available that allows creating and restore backup snapshots of an action. Versions are automatically stored when an action is installed from outside the app and can be created manually at any time in the version screen.
# Wiki-Style Link Improvements
Based on feedback, several minor changes have been made to better support the `[[wiki-style]]` crosslinks added in Drafts 20.
- Linking now supports direct links to markers (such as Markdown headers) within the content of longer drafts. The syntax is `[[Title of Draft/Marker Name]]`.
- If a `[[wiki-style]]` title link matches multiple drafts, the app will throw up a warning and open a search for the title to help you disambiguate your intentions and make you aware that more than one match exists.
- The `/open` URL, when used with `allowCreate=true` should prompt about the creation of the new draft.
- The `/open` URL now supports a `marker` parameter to target a specific marker inside a draft.
# Other New Items
- "Vivid Dark" theme.
- Support for new watchOS 7 complications.
- Support for "Wind Down" shortcuts.
- File action step has new "Tags" field, which can be configured to assign Finder tags to files when writing them. Use `[[tags]]` to pass through tags assigned to the draft.
- Keyboard shortcut assignments now supports using several special keys, notably arrow keys.
- Drag and drop of a message from Mail will now insert not just the subject of the dragged message, but the "message:" URL linking to the original message.
- Backups now have a "keep" setting to control how many backups to keep, automatically sweeping older backups to avoid consuming too much space.
- `/actionSearch?query=TEXT` URL to open directly to a search of the action list.
Complete release notes: https://docs.getdrafts.com/docs/misc/changelog-ios
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This app makes the iPad a useful work tool
This app helps one get a lot done on the iPad (or iPhone) that wouldn't be possible otherwise---even the free version. Paying a subscription has been worth it too. You just have to try it to see how it might be useful to you personally and if that justifies the price.
I do less with the tag and workspace features than I perhaps could because I tend to use Bear for reference. Fortunately, there are users who know how to script and have come up with actions to make Drafts play well with Bear. Ditto other apps, including email. In the end, Drafts is kind of like a work environment in which one can begin all work with text. It's also good for cleaning up text from other sources.
I have loved this app through several versions. One reason, I suspect, is because it continues to test the boundaries of what is possible in iOS. And one can actually customize one's work environment a bit. In other words, the app takes both the operating system and the user seriously. The subscription model has also led to a viable business plan, it seems, whereas I've seen other solid apps go neglected or get killed off for lack of ongoing funding and attention in a constantly changing computing environment and app market.
Love the app, not the subscriptions.
I’ve been using drafts since version 4 came out. It changed the way I work, and I love using it to enter and manipulate text. I’ve been playing around with Drafts 5 and the app is amazing. There’s so much power in the free app, and the pro subscriptions adds some great options for power users. Thing is, I’m not a power user, but I’m more than willing to pay for the features I use. My biggest issue is that I dislike and avoid app subscriptions. I like that when I pay for an app, even if the company disappears tomorrow, I can continue to use the app for years to come. I’m also not thrilled that dark mode is behind the subscription wall, I’d pay a few dollars to have a dark mode, I find it much easier on my eyes, but can’t justify the subscription just for dark mode, since it’s the only tool I would use from the subscription. Fortunately, I can continue using drafts 4 with its dark mode. Sure, I’ll miss out on all the new features in the free app, but that’s how much I dislike day mode. Just writing this review is burning my eyes. But my issues say nothing about the app itself which is wonderful. Definitely give the free mode a spin, and if you like scripting and having full control and aren’t opposed to renting apps, the sub is a great value. But for me it’s less than ideal as it’s currently set up. Hopefully down the line, the developer will consider making dark mode an optional in app purchase for those that don’t or can’t subscribe.
Wow, just wow!
I never thought I needed an app like this, then I hear them talk about it all the time on Mac Power Users and Automators podcast so I thought I would give it a try. It seems overwhelming at first with all of the options but once you configure a few actions you’ll never go back. There is enough free to the app that you could use it without the IAP - I wouldn’t recommend it though, the customizable nature of the app is unlocked when you subscribe. Also, this dude is an indie dev so there isn’t multi unicorn level of funding keeping this product alive - you’re literally making this viable for him, so hit subscribe - you’ll thank me later.
Also, the quick dictate function on the watch is a GAME CHANGER. Tap the complication, tap the microphone and record your thought. Then when you have time to process, open the app on your iPhone/Mac and manipulate the text with the actions. It literally lets you dump what you’re thinking into an app with the least amount of friction. The best part is the text isn’t stuck in this app, which is the whole point. Give it a go!
- Agile Tortoise
- 63.9 MB
Requires iOS 12.4 and watchOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2012-2020 by Agile Tortoise, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Pro Subscription $1.99
- Annual Pro Subscription $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.