The Box breathing technique is a breathing exercise commonly used in meditation and yoga for its anti-stress benefits. Box breathing will help you against anxiety.
By the voluntary control of the frequency between exhalation and inhalation, the type of breathing (abdominal, costal) I will learn to work better and better, my muscles involved in this breathing gesture (diaphragm, intercostals, etc.).
Through the combined effect of better blood oxygenation and neuro-vegetative reflexes, by exercising a voluntary control on our way of breathing, we can rise our level of vigilance.
It is commonly felt that increased expiration time (3 minimum exhalation times for 1 inhalation time) promotes relaxation. It is commonly felt that an increase of the inspiratory amplitude with a brief expiration (3 times on the inspiration for 1 expiration time) will be more challenging.
Box breathing benefits :
• from 4 to 10 cycles:
- to find his calm in case of nervousness,
- to find a little energy,
- to refocus quickly in the present
• over 20 cycles and more:
- a deeper relaxation,
- a discreet relaxation, anytime, anywhere, in any position (sitting, standing, lying), an anti-stress action,
- an improvement in the concentration at the same time as relaxation,
- a regular practice promotes an awareness and progressive relaxation of the diaphragm."
"Considering the benefits of his action, we are encouraged to learn and feel its different effects to include, this work of breathing in our daily lives.
As a first step, you can focus on learning about abdominal breathing, then in a second time deepen the learning and automation of square breathing.
How to perform box breathing exercise :
• Straighten the upper body with the intention of growing, stretching the axis of the spine and opening the chest.
• For square breathing, breathe through the nose while keeping the lower jaw relaxed.
• Print a flexible movement of the abdomen that accompanies inspiration and exhalation: this is abdominal breathing:
- Inspiration: the abdomen swells in a fluid movement
- Expiration: the abdomen deflates in the same fluidity.
• Once the abdominal breathing is installed, start the square breathing: the four phases of breathing have each the same duration:
- Inspiration (3/4/5/6 / ... seconds)
- Full lung retention (3/4/5/6 / ... seconds)
- Expiration (3/4/5/6 / ... seconds)
- Retention empty lungs (3/4/5/6 / ... seconds)
Ratings and Reviews
Instructions are unclear
Hold your breath and keep
Your breath are two different steps. It’s not clear to a novice (like me) what they are asking.
The music is calming and the illustration of the lotus flower, is simple and pleasing.
Developer Response ,
We take your feedback into account. Box Breathing Assistant had fixed the problem, we introduced a tutorial to easily use the application.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- emmanuel orvain
- 47.2 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2018-2021 Emmanuel Orvain. All rights reserved
- In-App Purchases
- Premium account $1.99