FiLMiC Firstlight is a revolutionary photo camera from the makers of the class leading FiLMiC Pro cinema video camera that makes live photography fun and creative.
-- -- -- -- -- --
Rediscover the joy of capturing life’s moments in photographs you will immediately treasure and want to share.
Firstlight combines custom film simulations, adaptive film grain and FiLMiC Pro’s famous live analytics to offer an advanced but approachable front end camera experience like no other.
Fast, easy and intuitive, Firstlight lets you envision and capture your best moments in camera, without having to spend hours editing your photos later. Shoot and share, it’s that easy.
-- -- -- -- -- --
ADVANCED IMAGE CONTROLS
- Fast, intuitive focus and exposure controls: Tap the screen to set focus/exposure, tap again to lock.
- Shutter and ISO Priority Modes: In addition to auto exposure, you can set specific Shutter Speed or ISO values to adhere to and let the app automatically adjust exposure for the unlocked value.
- Cross-swipe manual controls: The most intuitive way to manually adjust focus and exposure. Swipe across the image to dial in your perfect shot. Swipe up and down to adjust exposure. Swipe left and right to adjust focus.
- Reactive analytics: A foundation feature of FiLMiC Pro and now in a photo app. Manually adjusting your focus and exposure will automatically apply focus peaking or zebra stripes to make sure you get your shot just right.
- RGB Histogram: Dynamically shows the exposure profile of the image across all color channels.
GET THE LOOK YOU WANT
- Vintage film simulations: The magic of Firstlight is in our realistic tributes to authentic film stocks.
- Film grain: Apply natural-looking, dynamically-generated film grain effects to give your photos that ‘film look’.
- Vignette: Apply a subtle dark vignette to your image.
- Lens selector: Quickly switch between all available lenses on your device. Go from tele to ultrawide with the tap of a finger. (Note: camera/lens support is device specific).
PROFESSIONAL CAMERA TOOLS
- Burst mode
- Grid overlays
- Aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, 3:2, 1:1, 5:4
- Expanded shadow detail
- DNG, TIFF, JPG or HEIC Selection
- HDR control (This feature is supported by iPhone Xs Max, Xs, Xr and newer)
- Volume button shutter and support for most bluetooth camera shutter remotes
- Configurable burst mode
- Anamorphic adapter support
- Custom Function button
- Custom live analytics
- Configurable Focus and Exposure controls
- Embedded copyright
- FiLMiC Pro quick launch button (for owners of FiLMiC Pro)
If you have any questions for the FiLMiC team either before or after you purchase Firstlight or one of our other apps please feel free to reach out to us at: email@example.com
A big change for FiLMiC Firstlight, no more subscriptions! Now you can unlock the power of Firstlight with a one-time purchase.
- We have listened to our customers and feel that a single purchase for all that Firstlight has to offer is the right move at this time.
- We appreciate all of the early support and all previous subscribers now own the full app outright.
If you have any questions on how to get the most out of Firstlight or any suggestions please contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good form from Filmic
I preordered this app and loved the function but thought it was ridiculous to need a subscription to access the RAW photo options. I’m glad to see the Filmic team has reversed this and found a new profit model. I’m not against companies making a living, but that was a bit much
With that said, Firstlight has moved to my goto photo app replacing Halide. Firstlight is really simple to use, I can get shots setup quickly, and the peaking makes sure I’m focused where I want to be.
Developer Response ,
Hi K.. Thanks for your review and thoughts. We hope you have a chance to use the free capabilities for a while and to determine if you think the subscription will be a worthwhile option for you. At it's price it is a nominal amount for an app that could be pivotal for your day to day photography. But every camera is personal to the photographer, so after a while with the free functions you may determine it's not right for you. But either way, Firstlight will be here as our photo platform and we will invest heavily here to bring new capabilities regularly, along with our trusted commitment to maintenance, support and educational materials. There is lot coming to Firstlight. If you have any questions in the future please let us know: email@example.com
The app is great, pretty intuitive. I’ve only been using it for a little while and have yet to use it in a professional setting. It’s a little slow on the trigger tho and so you’re not sure you’ve got the shot until it shows in the camera roll. Definitely use some type of stabilizer until you get use to the way it functions, it’s good that they have a big shutter button. However I do like the familiar feel from using FilMic Pro and it has the desqueeze feature for anamorphic lenses. I love that I can shoot RAW DNG & TIFF files, the histogram is like right there and it doesn’t get into the way. I have an iPhone 11 Pro max so I can change between all 4 lenses pretty easily. Although I’m missing one huge feature, I hope it’s going to be a quick and easy update. Give me the ability to use the DOF MK2 adapter from BeastGrip Pro for stills PLEASE!!! I know you can do this. Cheers!
Decent & Fun
I have to revise my previous lackluster review of first light. It’s not really fair to ding the app for subscription offerings when they’re optional.
The free app is quite useful and I love the swipe for focus & exposure.
I also like the free grain & filter offerings. I think my fav Chrome Veloura also happens to be free.
The battery draining issues reported... could be my device, but the behavior points more toward the latest iOS version I’m running.
For manual iPhone photography I think I’d prefer something like the ProCam7 app that I already have and includes all the extra stuff. Or maybe the Halide app that’s been recommended.
However, for the stated target use of First Light, I think they get a lot right.
For no muss no fuss iPhone snaps, I might reach for first light over the stock app because I love the swiping focus/exposure control, as well as showing zebras for both clipping and crushing.
Knocked off just 1 star because I wish they included zooming control though. Seems like they could give the user pinch zooming without degrading the experience at all.
Overall, fun & recommend :)
Developer Response ,
Hey Skip... We really appreciate the revised review. Your earlier comments were completely valid, but we seemed to lose something in the communication between you and our team, and we appreciate you giving this a pragmatic and holistic review of what we're trying to do here. You are spot on... we tried to give away as much as we possibly could in the app so we can let everyone take beautiful photos and see what the app is all about. From there, we are FiLMiC, so we have a lot planned for this app, so the premium options for members is only the tipping point, there will be a LOT added to the premium side, while retaining so much great value for free. We can understand the request for zoom and we've heard it from a few customers so we are going to look into it. Believe it or not, the cross-swipe capability is a completely custom set of gestures which makes it difficult to layer in pinch-to-zoom, but we're going to see what we can do there. We wanted that cross-swipe experience to be a joy...and we had to work hard to get it so you could swipe up/down and left/right without even lifting your finger but still have that register with precision. Keep your eyes open for the future and we'll try to find a way to get your last star back. If you ever have questions or suggestions you can reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FiLMiC Inc
- 37.9 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 13.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2019 FiLMiC Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.