Camera Heart Rate Variability is the first app that lets you record, plot and export time and frequency domain Heart Rate Variability Features - without requiring any heart rate monitor.
Camera HRV uses a technique called photoplethysmography (PPG for short), which consists in detecting changes in blood volume during a cardiac cycle, by illuminating the skin and measuring changes in light absorption. PPG has become quite a popular non-invasive method for extracting physiological measurements such as heart rate and oxygen saturation. However, most applications today focus simply on heart rate or respiration rate.
Supported devices for the camera measurement: iPhones 5, 5S, 6, 6S, 6+, 6S+, SE, 7, 7+, 8, 8+, X, XS, XS Max, XR, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, 12 mini, 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, 13 mini, 13, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max
Camera HRV can assess cardiac autonomic regulation through quantification of sinus rhythm variability. Since HRV aims at quantifying autonomic regulations, it can be used as marker of sympathetic or parasympathetic predominance, and therefore become relevant in many applications. In athletes for example heavy training is responsible for shifting the cardiac autonomic balance toward a predominance of the sympathetic over the parasympathetic drive, and HRV analysis attempts to quantify this shift.
Other applications span from stress monitoring, assessment of pathological conditions and even emotional regulation during financial decision-making.
- extracts, plots, stores and exports heart rate, rr-intervals, time and frequency domain heart rate variability features (AVNN, SDNN, rMSSD, pNN50, LF, HF, LF/HF)
- configurable time window for feature extraction (30 seconds to 5 minutes)
- automatic RR-interval correction
- event annotation
- comparison between up to 3 recordings lets you get a better understanding of autonomic regulation and sympathetic/parasympathetic activity under different contexts in a glance
- data export/storage on iTunes and Dropbox (csv format, exports heart rates, rr intervals, events and computed features). Data export needs to be performed from the history -> recording view, by clicking on the export button (bottom left).
- integration with the Health app (writes Heart Rate and Heart Rate Variability)
Find out more at this link: http://www.marcoaltini.com/2/post/2014/01/heart-rate-variability-using-the-phones-camera.html
For questions, feedback, issues, feel free to reach @altini_marco on Twitter
Ratings and Reviews
Not fully functional, it seems
I get a "HRV not computed due to poor signal quality" with every attempt, no matter what I do. It would help if I had more information about what that message means.
The new version is a HUGE improvement in signal acquisition. Works much better and has more consistent analysis. I tested this against a laboratory grade HRV instrument and it was quite close. It would be a good app addition for lay people to state “normal” levels and explain the different features and how they impact health and HRV. Would also be nice to choose which studies to graph together to show trend.
This is better than most consumer HRV. If you are serious about measuring you HRV and want it to be easy and accurate, you need this. Very reasonable price too.
I used this app for the last year and really liked it but in the last month the timer has stopped working so it only tracks number of beats per minute and nothing else. Maybe it needs to be updated to keep up with the iPhone updates?
Developer Response ,
hi there. This issue has been resolved, please update to the latest version and the timer will appear after 5 seconds. In case of issues, feel free to reach us at hello@HRV4Training.com. Thank you!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- A.S.M.A. B.V.
- 44.7 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Marco Altini
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.