Keybase - Crypto for Everyone 4+
Designed for iPad
Keybase is a messaging platform where:
• you can write securely to any twitter, reddit, facebook, github, and hacker news user
• you don't need to know someone's phone number or email address
• all messages are secure, end-to-end encrypted
• multi-device: your messages survive and transfer with encryption to new phones & computers
Keybase is so much more. It is:
• free for everyone, and free of ads
• open source (https://github.com/keybase/client)
• multi-platform, w/apps for macOS, Linux, and Windows (https://keybase.io/download)
By using the Keybase app you agree to the following terms:
• you'll be a nice Internet person
Keybase for mobile is brand new and we yearn for feedback. Inside the app, click the gear icon and then choose "feedback" to send us a summary of your experience.
• Various bug fixes and performance enhancements
• Better scrolling to search results and links into chat
• Fix for screen freezing on backing out of chat threads
• Fix for missing images in chats
• Newer modal styling
Ratings and Reviews
“Add a device” feature somewhat limited
Since Keybase doesn’t support legacy devices such as iPad Mini 1, the “Add a device” feature is somewhat limited. If you don’t want to deal with paper keys, linking 3+ devices to your Keybase account is the way forward. Think about those old iDevices you have lying around doing nothing. Suddenly they could be used to further strengthen the security of your Keybase account. This is terribly important if you use Keybase for professional team collaboration an/or as a digital wallet.
Almost Perfect, 5 Stars Anyway
I have been looking for an encrypted and easy-to-use messenger as a longtime disappointed user of iMessages/Signal/WhatsApp. Let’s see what keybase does amazingly:
1) Encrypted with no extra steps
2) Requires no identifying information to create a profile
3) Works on multiple devices seamlessly
4) Easy and fun to use
5) BONUS: built-in crypto wallet to as a nice replacement for venmo/zelle and introduction to crypto for newbies!
6) other neat features: cloud storage up to 250gb, git repos, big teams (slack-like messenger for FREE), bot integrations, the list goes on...
What can be improved:
1) sluggish, but i assume it’s because of the encryption/decryption steps
2) race for good usernames and cannot change usernames afterwards
The only app i feel even completes close to this space is Status Encrypted Messenger, but it has high hurdles because of ultra-anonymous nature and account seeds being improperly stored/lost.
I love this app and I’m a little sad that the dev team was picked up my Zoom, but I hope this product continues to become better and better.
Crypto for everyone!
Missing key feature -very true
The team system is very limited and the namespace is not tied to an account. It is global and once deleted, they are gone forever. So it’s going to be a land race to get all the team names you can before others. Additional, team names are limited to 16 characters. It almost feels like I’m living back in the 1980’s. Some commands only work on the terminal, which means the “crypto for everyone” really means for everyone who is an super user, engineer or IT person. In the first 20 mins of use, I had to google instructions to understand how or if some was possible. Buttons/icons don’t support hover. I think it’s a good start, but needs work to be more user friendly. The team system needs a complete rewrite.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Keybase, Inc.
- 130.9 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Keybase, 2017