Keybase is a messaging platform where:
• you can write securely to any twitter, reddit, facebook, github, and hacker news user
• you don't need to know someone's phone number or email address
• all messages are secure, end-to-end encrypted
• multi-device: your messages survive and transfer with encryption to new phones & computers
Keybase is so much more. It is:
• free for everyone, and free of ads
• open source (https://github.com/keybase/client)
• multi-platform, w/apps for macOS, Linux, and Windows (https://keybase.io/download)
By using the Keybase app you agree to the following terms:
• you'll be a nice Internet person
Keybase for mobile is brand new and we yearn for feedback. Inside the app, click the gear icon and then choose "feedback" to send us a summary of your experience.
• New slash command! Type '/location' to share your location with the channel
• Better feedback on slash commands
• Input bar grows more while typing
• Hard to chat while on a phone call
• Better feedback sending
• Improved adding members to a team
Ratings and Reviews
Good, but missing some key features
I like the progress this app has made over the past year. It really shows the developers interest in making Keybase a practical encryption service for everyone. But there are still some basic features missing. Most prominently, there is no share sheet. It is cumbersome to tap share in another app, copy the link, then go home, then open Keybase, then paste and send. Most of the time, it is easier to just not send the message, or use another service instead. Either way, this results in lower Keybase usage.
Missing key feature -very true
The team system is very limited and the namespace is not tied to an account. It is global and once deleted, they are gone forever. So it’s going to be a land race to get all the team names you can before others. Additional, team names are limited to 16 characters. It almost feels like I’m living back in the 1980’s. Some commands only work on the terminal, which means the “crypto for everyone” really means for everyone who is an super user, engineer or IT person. In the first 20 mins of use, I had to google instructions to understand how or if some was possible. Buttons/icons don’t support hover. I think it’s a good start, but needs work to be more user friendly. The team system needs a complete rewrite.
Privacy is important
These guys have cracked the privacy problem - chat with friends (regardless of their OS/platform) securely! Teams feature is great. As others have mentioned it would be nice to have a native iPad app but I’m sure they are working on it.
- Keybase, Inc.
- 139.9 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular,and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Keybase, 2017
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.