Libro.fm makes it possible for you to buy audiobooks through your local bookstore, giving you the power to keep money within your local economy, create local jobs, and make a difference in your community.
Choose from more than 250,000 audiobooks on Libro.fm, including bestsellers and bookseller picks, and your audiobook purchases are synced with the app immediately so you can start listening right away. If you ever have questions, feedback, or just want a good audiobook recommendation, you can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and a real, audiobook-loving human will get back to you.
1. Download the free Libro.fm app and sign into your Libro.fm account.
2. Explore the catalog to find your next listen.
3. Use your Libro.fm credits to get audiobooks in the app.
4. Download your audiobook(s) and start listening.
5. Visit Libro.fm to get additional audiobook credits.
- Each month, you receive one audiobook credit in exchange for an automatic monthly charge of $14.99 USD plus tax to your credit card. Your membership provides ongoing support for your chosen independent bookstore.
- Audiobook credits from your membership can be used on your choice of over 250,000 audiobooks, regardless of list price. (Note: Certain audiobooks cannot be purchased with credits due to publisher restrictions.)
- Audiobook credits never expire and can be used on gifts.
- As a member, you receive 30% off additional à la carte audiobook purchases, including gifts.
- You can place your membership on hold or cancel anytime and keep your audiobooks and unused credits.
- Monthly membership is currently available only in the United States and Canada, but gift memberships are available worldwide.
- Explore audiobooks: Explore Libro.fm’s catalog of 250,000+ audiobooks.
- Use credits: Use your Libro.fm audiobook credits to get and gift audiobooks from the app.
- Automatic sync: Audiobooks automatically sync from your Libro.fm account as well as across devices.
- Bookmarks: Easily bookmark content so you can return to it later (bookmarks are synced across devices).
- Playback speed: Like to listen at a faster pace? Just use our variable-speed narration feature.
- Sleep Timer: Feeling sleepy? Set the timer to stop your audiobook after a few minutes or at the end of the track.
- Tags: Organize your library in a way that works for you with customizable tags.
- Sharing: Share the Libro.fm experience with friends to earn free audiobooks! The share function lets you refer via email, text, or airdrop.
- DRM-free downloads: Every audiobook on Libro.fm is DRM-free, so you can listen on any device.
- Dark Mode: You can now control the appearance of your Libro.fm app in settings.
- Car Mode: You can use Car Mode for larger controls.
- Bookseller picks: You can now see bookseller picks on the Explore screen of your app.
- Various UI enhancements
- Bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Feels good to support my local bookstore
As much as I like physical books, most of the reading I do is actually audiobooks on my commute and I finally asked my local bookstore (Volumes in Chicago!) if I could somehow buy audiobooks from them. They directed me to this app and I’m so happy that (most of) my book-buying now supports them instead of the online giant.
The app update is great and you can now buy audiobooks directly in the app.
My only complaint is that sometimes it seems like too many clicks to continue listening to a book I’ve been listening to. But if I’m using Bluetooth headphones it starts playing automatically as soon as I put them in, so it’s not really a big deal.
Only the mission is worth it
Love the mission and I’ll continue using the app just to support local bookstores alone. However, the app doesn’t offer much functionality for searching or accessing your account, and often leaves me confused. The FAQ instructions say you can pick a specific bookstore to support ‘at anytime by going to your account’ but I still cannot figure out how to do that from ‘my account’ on the app. It might only be an option from a computer, but either way the instructions are not clear, not helpful, and frustrating. The search function also needs to be improved. I cannot seem to search within the app for available books, regardless of if you can purchase through the app. For example, even just a search of ‘p’ returns zero results with the app, which I find hard to believe is accurate (do no you have no authors with a name starting with P? No titles starting with P?). This makes it a lot harder to recommend and actually get other people to switch over, who might not be as altruistic.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for sharing your feedback and I'm sorry your experience with the app was frustrating. I have some great news! This week we released a major update to the app (version 5.0) that is rolling out to all of our users throughout the week. It incorporates both in-app search of our catalog, as well as checkout with membership credits! You should see a prompt to update the app in the coming days, which will address two of the concerns you shared.
To choose the bookstore you'd like to support, you can visit the bookstore selection tool on our website: libro.fm/indies
If there's anything we can do to help, or if you have any other questions along the way, our support team is always at the ready: email@example.com
Doesn’t Sync Across Devices
I love this app because I love supporting my local bookstore. However, I listen to my audiobooks on different devices throughout the day. Sometimes I’m on my phone and other times I’m on my iPad. Unfortunately, the current version of this app doesn’t update from my previous place on one device when I switch to the other. Or if it has this capability, I cannot find where to turn it on.
I still would recommend this app and company over others, purely to support local bookstores.
Developer Response ,
Hi kbwm, I wanted to follow up with you--the app now syncs across your iOS devices as of version 4.0.0. Enjoy!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Search History
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Libro.fm, Inc
- 43.7 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2016 Libro.fm
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.