Minnesota 511 is the Minnesota Department of Transportation's traveler information resource. The 511MN app provides statewide, real-time traffic information for Minnesota highways and interstates, including:
- Hands-free, audio notifications of traffic events while you drive
- Zoom-enabled map with selectable event icons
- Near real-time updates on winter road conditions, traffic incidents, and road closures
- Roadwork and construction
- Travel time delays associated with traffic reports (look for the orange glowing icons)
- Current traffic speeds
- Roadside camera images and live video capabilities
- Road weather information
- Snow plow camera images
- Rest area locations including real-time truck parking availability for select state-run rest areas
- Electronic roadway sign messages
Learn about Minnesota's Law on wireless communication devices in vehicles at https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.475
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- Updates to the look-and-feel of the 511MN app
- View nearby events to current location
- Access additional traveler information resources from the "More" menu
- Save camera views to 511MN account
Ratings and Reviews
Please add an ON-OFF button in Settings
Please add an ON – OFF button to this app in the Settings to prevent battery drainage and the annoyance of unwanted alerts when not in use. I receive far too many crash alerts at a nonstop rate throughout the day because of stupid drivers. Whereas My 511mn Alerts are extremely helpful when I am about to drive somewhere, receiving alerts while I am at work with no plans to drive anywhere within the next half hour becomes extremely distracting, annoying, and wasteful of battery usage!! If you are not going to do anything about this problem, then I’m going to delete this app completely. Thank you for listening.
Great if you can interpret unlabeled highway map
Highways are presented as unlabeled green lines. There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to see what road is depicted except perhaps to view a traffic camera output identifies the roadway shown. Of course, in metro areas, cameras are so densely located that the camera location view summarizes how many traffic are in a given area. Expanding the map to select a given camera shows the green lines without context, and you must know what highway whose cameras are depicted. This is not for through travelers, but for locals thoroughly familiar with the shape of their major highways.
Best app for road conditions.
This app is awesome! We all want to know what condition the roads are in before we head out in the winter.
This app let’s you see the actual road pictures from the highway camera’s. Additionally, you can get inside the plow truck and see the actual road images from the plow truck dash cam!
The people that rate this app low don’t understand how the hwy Dept works I guess.
They’re expecting someone to physically be out walking every mile of road and live teeeting the conditions. That’s not how it works.
Have you ever started your car on a cold morning and the dash reads “Ice possible”???
That’s because it’s using the outdoor temp to make this assessment. Same thing here.
There are weather stations throughout the state that are reporting the weather conditions. These stations have live camera feed as well as the plow trucks too. No better way to check the real, physical roads than that!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Minnesota Department of Transportation
- 25.7 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Minnesota Department of Transportation