One of the most powerful music creation tools for iOS: modular synth (+AU), MIDI sequencer and tracker.
SunVox is one of the most powerful music creation tools for iOS. It is a small and fast cross-platform modular synthesizer with pattern based sequencer (tracker).
[ Key features ]
• Modular interface.
• Powerful microtonal sequencer.
• Highly optimized synth algorithms.
• Support of 16/24/32bit WAV, AIFF and XI samples.
• XM (FastTracker) and MOD (ProTracker, OctaMED) import.
• Multitrack WAV export.
• MIDI import/export.
• MIDI IN/OUT.
• Mic/Line recording (using the Sampler).
• Audio Unit Extension (AUv3 instrument/effect), Audiobus.
• Generative music features: random selection of notes, random values of controllers, probability effects.
• It's possible to use SunVox engine in your own applications using the free library for developers.
• It is also available for other systems (see the site).
[ Brief instruction ]
The main menu - button with the SunVox icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
To connect one module (source) to another (destination): first touch on the source, second touch on the destination.
Official SunVox homepage, user manual, video tutorials:
Found a bug? Have some questions? Just write me directly: email@example.com
The answer comes immediately!
[ Built-in synthesizers & effects ]
• DrumSynth with 120 unique synthetic drum sounds;
• FM synthesizer;
• Multisample instrument;
• SpectraVoice (FFT-based synthesizer for warm atmospheric sounds);
• Side Chain Compressor;
• Echo & Reverb;
• Equalizer & Filters;
• Loop (for glitch effects);
• Vocal Filter (for human voice simulation);
• Vorbis Player;
• Pitch Detector;
• Pitch Shifter;
• and more ...
[ Jordan Rudess about this app ]
Sunvox is a serious music application. I am personally running it on my iphone. In the overcrowded world of music apps, Sunvox stands out as both unique and powerful. If you are a musician and own an iphone, you owe it to yourself to try this amazing application!
2.0e: bug fixes.
* iOS 11+: SunVox Audio Unit (AUv3) can now send MIDI notes and MIDI CC to other AU modules;
* iOS 13.4+: full USB/Bluetooth keyboard support (like on desktops);
* multiple module selection + ability to save several selected modules to a sunvox file;
* timeline: supertracks (see simple_examples/supertracks.sunvox);
* improved import of old tracker formats (XM and MOD);
* new module - FMX: 5-operator Frequency Modulation synth;
* new module - FFT frequency transformator;
* timeline menu: new option "Vertical mode";
* timeline menu: new functions "Load" and "Save" to load/save selected patterns from/to a sunvox file;
* timeline menu: new function "Detach" to convert the clones to the normal patterns;
* module editor menu: new function "Detach" to detach the selected modules from the rest;
* module editor menu: new function "Make MetaModule" for packing the selected modules into a single MetaModule;
* now it is possible to delete modules, but keep the links;
* pattern properties: X and Y fields - exact coordinates of the pattern on the timeline;
* module properties: X and Y fields - exact coordinates of the module;
* module visualizer: "Phase Sync" oscilloscope option has been added; activate it to see a single waveform cycle;
* module visualizer: new buttons "reset", "apply", "copy", "paste";
* ADSR->Sustain: new value "Repeat" (repeat the envelope until the module is stopped);
* ADSR->Smooth Transitions: new value "volume change" (the volume will change smoothly, but the envelope start is not smoothed);
* Amplifier: new controller "Bipolar DC Offset";
* Analog Generator: the "Freq2" controller has been ranamed to "Osc2" (pitch deviation of the additional oscillator);
* Analog Generator: new controller "Osc2 volume" - additional oscillator volume;
* Analog Generator: new controller "Osc2 mode" - mixing mode of the additional oscillator with the main one (add;sub;mul;min;max;bitwise AND;bitwise XOR);
* Analog Generator: new controller "Osc2 phase" - starting phase of the additional oscillator;
* Analog Generator: new option "Increased frequency computation accuracy";
* Delay: new controller "Delay multiplier";
* Delay: new "Delay unit" values: sec/44100, sec/48000, sample;
* Delay: max delay length has been increased to 60 sec;
* Delay: new controller "Feedback" (for sound and events);
* Echo: new controller "Right channel offset" (how much to shift the right channel relative to the left in time);
* Echo: new controller "Filter";
* Echo: new controller "Filter frequency";
* Filter Pro: new modes "stereo + smoothing" and "mono + smoothing" for additional parameter smoothing;
* Filter Pro: new types "LP 6dB" and "HP 6dB";
* LFO: new controller "Sine quality";
* MetaModule->Play patterns: new values "on (repeat, endless)" and "on (no repeat, endless)";
* MetaModule: number of user defined controllers has been increased to 96;
* MetaModule: controller color can now be changed by adding "@X" to the beginning of the name, where X is the group number from 0 to F;
* MultiSynth: new option "Output port number = round-robin (cyclic)";
* Sampler: new option "Increased frequency computation accuracy";
* new pattern effects (column EE):
* 1A - fine velocity slide up/down (XX - up speed; YY - down speed); once at the beginning of a line;
* 33 - slot sync (for sv_sync_resume() in SunVox library);
* 34 - set (XX) or reset (YY) project options: 1 - no portamento on the first tick; 2 - no velocity slide on the first tick; (for compatibility with old tracker formats);
* 3C - copy track XX from from the pattern YY; for example, if XXYY = 0023, then the first track will be copied from the pattern named "23";
* 3D - write a random value to track YY; min value, max value and column must be in track 0, starting from line XX; see example "pat effect 3D random value";
* new examples and modules.
See the full changelog on the site...
Ratings and Reviews
The Swiss knives of… knives, if knives were music applications
There are a very select group of audio apps that I install on every new device before any other apps. SunVox is definitely one of those apps!
Tracker functionality isn’t everybody’s cup of tea, but the modular wiring and multitude of modules are really the star of the show. You can create just about any type of Synth and fx combo you can think of in a very lightweight environment.
I’ve been a big fan of SunVox for a long time. Many apps have come along since I first tried SunVox. Most have been relegated to being reinstalled once in a while, only to be uninstalled to clear out clutter. SunVox never leaves my devices, and it gets used very often for sound design and generative audio.
Had it since the original iPad. Still love it!
This was the first music production app I got on my original ipad like 12 years ago and I still use it from time to time today! It’s incredibly robust and filled with features and if you have a little imagination, you can figure out how to create all kinds of sounds with this thing. I imagine it would be a Helpful way to learn about modular synthesis and trackers. One of my long running all time favorite mobile music production apps and I am still amazed that it was created by a single guy (much like NanoStudio). Cubasis was created by one of the industry’s biggest players and it still feels so clunky and unusable to me…. Anyway, definitely get this, you won’t regret it!
SunVox is amazing!!
Yes this app won’t cost you much money, it’s free on Mac, PC, Linux and even Raspberry Pi if you really want to try before buying. I was trying to make a stand alone box running it on Raspberry Pi but then I realized it works so much better on my Phone and this was 3 years ago. It can do so much and continues to get developed to be even better year after year. Some people don’t care for Trackers well I don’t either and I don’t use it often. I has infinite possibilities for sound creation. Works flawlessly on everything from my old 2011 iPad 2 running the latest SunVox version to my new 2017 iPad Pro.
I’m just resending my same review as before because the iOS review system is stupid!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Alexander Zolotov
- 90.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Alexander Zolotov
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.