Simple, slick word processing app to create and edit documents, and collaborate on them with your friends. Sync docs across devices and access them wherever you go.
Writer is carefully designed to create a clean, blank paper-esque writing experience across your smartphone, tablet and computer. And it's free forever!
Collaborate with your team
- Join discussions, even when you're away from your desk. Add your thoughts to documents, reply to friends' comments, or just appreciate them by clicking "like."
Work with multiple formats
- Import and edit your existing Microsoft Word documents. Take stories off your world by exporting it as an MS Word, PDF, ODT, HTML, or TXT file.
Get access to the full-blown web version
- One of the best advantages of using Writer is that it features a powerful word processor on the web. It's incredibly easy to jot down notes on the move, and continue working on it on the web when you're back to your desk.
Create beautiful looking documents
- Format your documents. Add images, tables, and more.
- Apart from a "Make available offline" option, 20 of your most recent documents will available offline by default too!
Forget saving documents
- Forget clicking save, and manual back up. Your changes are saved and synced across all your devices as you make them.
What's stopping you now? Get started. Write away!
We added support for Right-to-left languages (Arabic, Hebrew etc) in the editor and tweaked a bunch of systems under-the-hood to improve your overall Writer experience.
Happy writing! =]
Ratings and Reviews
Good idea but doesn’t work yet
I’m on a paid account. The service concept is similar to Google’s Docs but doesn’t work as well.
In the app: documents can only be viewed in icon view. C’mon, 1984 is long gone. Where are the lists views? Sort by name, date, type, etc.
Search function searches only file names, not file contents.
Cannot save files into a new Folder.
Cannot delete files.
Cannot share files into another Zoho app, eg: Projects
Typeface changes randomly after a server error.
Cannot tell which changes have been saved and which one not saved since last auto-save.
I experience constant “connection interrupted” and “server errors”. Each forces a page reload which dumps all changes since the last auto-save. Very annoying.
(Is this me, my China connection, or Zoho’s servers?)
Update, October 2018
Zoho Customer service is responsive; they try hard to solve Customer complaints.
My “connection interrupted”issues persist. This must be caused by my internet connection; the Service provider is called _Great Wall_ after all.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for trying Writer, and writing to us.
1. List view was removed from the app recently, after the newly launched design-overhaul of the app. We had taken a step back from adding more features to the app, making sure we're perfecting the design and experience first. That being said, we're almost ready with list view, along with sorting, filtering and move to folder options . Should be available along with one of our upcoming updates. :)
2. Our team's looking into the possibilities of having a content search as well, which works both online and offline. Will let you know as soon as it's ready.
3. You can delete a document by swiping right on the document thumbnail, and tapping on the delete icon. It's also available within the editor. Click on the three dots icon on the bottom right corner and choose "Delete document".
4. You can share docs to other apps as well. Choose the "Share via Link" option to directly post the document link to other Zoho apps.
5. Writer saves your edits as you type them. Even if it's just a single character. :) Regarding the server errors, we assume you tried using the app during an unfortunate service outage that lasted for a couple of hours. This affected our users across multiple platforms, and we sincerly aplogize for the inconvenience the outage would've caused you.
Hope this helps. Please drop us a mail at email@example.com if you're still facing
issues with the app. Thanks much! :)
My friend and I use Zoho to share our collaborative stories with each other. The website works well enough, and we have a great time editing with each other live. The app on the other hand offers none of the convenience of the site. Typing lags so far behind what you are writing, you might as well be carving it into a stone tablet. And heaven forbid you want to copy and paste more than one word into it. The thing bogs down to near crashing with as few as 20 words selected to be pasted.
We have had more than a few issues where it will randomly place our curser somewhere else in the document while we are using the app, and we will lose random sentence fragments pages away from where we had been working. If they even get written down at all.
And don’t you dare even think about any kind of formatting while on the app, it won’t translate to the site version. You won’t get any of the double space periods your phone placed in there either. Don’t forget about the weird random extra spaces between words that you get as well. That’s if it doesn’t just not save huge chunks of text at random.
We still use the site, and will keep using the site, but we cannot safely use the app and you cannot either. At least not until an acceptable update makes it useable.
Good but needs a feature or two
I actually really like this idea, being able to type up a document and know that it will still be there no matter what happens to the data on my local device. Writer is one of a few good options out there. However, writer lacks some features.
Writer lacks the nice spacing on either side of the text, the left and right margins. Many other note taking and word apps nicely highlight the text via those margins. Even Zoho docs does it, so why not this app? They need to give it more of a page feel in my opinion or at least have this as an option.
Then there is search. I would like to be able to search within my documents. It is easier to find content this way. Right now it appears to only be able to search file names.
Last but not least, it would be nice to be able to multi-select items within this app to send them all to another app or drive. Far too many apps lack this very basic feature and it would be very worth while to add it to writer.
Besides these missing features though it is a good alternative to Google docs. Keep up the good work!
Developer Response ,
Hello Mike! Thank you for writing to us.
1. Your feedback with regard to the page view manageability is much appreciated, as it helps us to make our app even more user-friendly. We have forwarded your suggestion to our UX (User Experience) and UI (User Interface) team to implement a greater difference in usability. We'll let you know once done.
2. Also, we are glad to let you know that the implementation of the features to search file using the content and to send multiple files from our app to another medium are under finishing stage and will be made available in our future updates.
If you need any update on the above factors or if you have any other queries, please write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Search History
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Zoho Corporation
- 159.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.1 or later.
English, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2021, Zoho Corporation Pvt. Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.