Travel confidently around London with maps and live travel updates on our official TfL app. Check live arrival times for Tube, London Overground, DLR, TfL Rail and Thameslink trains as well as Trams and Emirates Air Line. Make step-free journeys and look up station facilities. See on the map when stations and lifts are closed. Walking or cycling? Our reliable journey planner will map a safe route.
The app is built around our iconic Tube map. To get started:
• Touch the map or search to plan your journey
• See the status of all lines
• Re-route as you travel - we’ll suggest alternatives
• Switch to the step-free map for accessible journeys
• Find out when your next train, bus or tram is due
• Look up which platform your train will arrive on
• See when the stations you want to travel through are quieter
• Check out station information and facilities such as toilets
Most recently we’ve:
• Added more information about station toilets – find out where they are by gender and which ones are accessible and/or with baby changing facilities
• Built a new map showing nearby bus stops – making it simple to see where you can catch your bus from
• Refreshed the navigation – it’s even easier to get to the features you want
Our simple and clear layout is designed to make using the app easy for everyone.
Planning your journey: We’ll suggest multiple ways to get to your destination – you pick the one that suits you best. Choose the quickest journey, bus-only or one that’s step-free.
Check before you travel: See how the line is running and when to expect your next Tube, bus, train or tram
Freedom to explore: Choose the right travel options if you or someone you’re travelling with needs to avoid steps, lifts onto a train or in a station.
Bus stops near you: Find the bus stop nearest to where you are, and next bus live arrival information for every route.
Available underground: Connect to Wi-Fi (and 4G in some places) to get all the live updates
What users have said:
“I think that out of all of the transport apps I have owned on my phone, this is by far the best”
“I love how clean the design of the app is & how easy it is to use. The best part of the app is it’s simplicity & how it helps you to navigate across London so effortlessly.”
“The map is awesome! The ability to zoom in and out and see more/less information as you do so. The station information is really useful and seeing which lines/stations are closed or have delays at a glance is really helpful. It’s also beautifully designed! Very slick, clean, and responsive.”
“The app is beautifully designed and free to use. Step free mode also works really well."
“This is a must have app … very much worth the wait. Well done TFL.”
- Updated station information
- Bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
App is very helpful and informative!
I think that out of all of the transport apps I have owned on my phone, this is by far the best as it has all the information that you will need on your commute to and from work, or in my case school. The only thing that bugs me is that you can’t add favourite bus stops, so if like me, you change bus when on the way home, you can see how long it is before arriving. This would make my journey much easier!
Developer Response ,
Hey Reece! I'm happy to hear that the app has exceeded in your expectations. It's always so handy to have regular stops to hand. I believe the favourites feature is being considered, in the mean time you can always refer to recent journeys. Make sure to keep tabs on upcoming updates. Faith :)
Most map apps such as citymapper and google maps bring similar functionality, but the tfl developers have indeed done a good job of providing a well designed and simplified experience with a focus on public transport in London and accessibility (both in the app and in finding accessible transport options). I am particularly impressed with the consistent design style that reflects the tfl brand really well. I would be curious to find out what technologies you used when building out the screens and interactive map 😁!
Of course there are always tradeoffs when designing a whole navigation app around the london tube map seeing as those unfamiliar with the london tube may find it unintuitive, as geographical distances and locations in london aren’t conveyed like they are on an ordinary map. In addition, the amount of text on the map and text on the main option buttons at the bottom may make the main app screen slightly less accessible to certain people. However, given the constraints of working off the tfl map, the design is still impressive.
To make the app better, it would be good to add some more disambiguation for places vs stations. Eg: High Barnet may refer to the tube station or the centre of the area.
About time TFL got an app but....
This app is way too simplistic!!
It's battery hungry and lacks attention to details for the average London commuter makes this one terrible app (so many apps out there offer much more functionality, probably coded by kids in their bedroom) so for a large organisation it's very disappointing:
1) directions: every train and bus departures times need to be shown (its London, people work 24/7, so for night, first and last services its vital passengers know the timing and plan and connections accordingly - otherwise it's half hour wait for the next bus!!
2) status updates: so many app have tube statuses, it's an easy API for kids to implement in their app but as an *official* TFL app... why not go one beyond and put in BUS status (recent bus strikes were not publicised [easily] anywhere apart from google maps app and there newspapers)
3) no favourites: this app uses locations (drain battery) every time, and reloads local stops/stations every time - a favourite stop/station will enable users to use two taps, rather than waiting ages for reloads!
Final note, the direction doesn't show enough variation like Google does, Google shows bus info and possible strikes (if they can use API from TFL surely TFL themselves can???) - so to conclude, TFL came late into this game, I'll be sticking to Google and uncluttering my homescreen real estate by deleting this too simplistic, battery draining, space taking, clunky useless app. No Thank you
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Search History
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Transport Trading Ltd.
- 32.3 MB
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Transport for London 2021
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.