The Georgia 511 mobile app is the official traffic app of the Georgia Department of Transportation (Georgia DOT). It provides real-time access to Georgia DOT's traffic and travel information including:
- Current traffic speeds and travel times on major interstates in Atlanta and statewide.
- Current incident and construction information in Atlanta and statewide.
- A real-time interactive traffic map that uses your geo-location and lets you show/hide layers for message signs, cameras, incidents, and construction.
- Over 800 real-time traffic camera images in metro Atlanta.
- Over 100 real-time message signs in Atlanta and statewide.
- News and major traffic and travel alerts.
- Georgia DOT's main Twitter feed, plus 16 dedicated feeds for major interstates. Twitter feeds provide automated incident notifications and are not actively monitored.
- Other fixes and improvements. See "What's New in This Version?" for details.
The Georgia 511 app has been completely rewritten. New or enhanced features include:
- New map that is significantly faster
- Map Satellite overlay
- Waze layers
- Inclusion of a nearby camera for events
- Look-Ahead feature that verbally notifies the driver of upcoming events such as a crash or construction
- Rest Area markers
- Evacuation Route markers
- Ability to get directions
- Enhanced emergency alerts
- Ability to favorite cameras and points of interest
- Enhanced cameras functionality
- Local and State weather
Ratings and Reviews
2 years later, same app, same issues
The only new thing I’ll mention is that the new hurricane section is kinda helpful except the Evacuation Route maps are soooo small that they are barely legible. Come on guys & gals... it’s 2017. Who still writes apps that look like Windows 95?! Oh, and corridor reports are no longer a “new” feature so time to update the icon (speaks to the slop and lack of basic attention to detail and usability).
Everything else I mentioned 2 years ago still applies...
Basic Problems Still Unresolved ... and because they don't have a feedback feature, here's the problems that still haven't been addressed after all these updates:
- maps load too slow because they use a lowest-level detail rendering (no matter how zoomed out) which takes a long time to load. Interactive map will freeze if you move around too much.
- The corridor maps no longer center on the corridor
- The traffic cam pics are too small if there is more than one feed under a camera icon
- The individual left menu features (message signs, cameras, etc) have too many levels deep to get to the desired location of interest. The interactive map is the only useful way to use this app.
+ The new corridor maps are awesome! It allows you to focus only on the portion of freeway that you are interested in.
I would recommend the developers actually use this app on an iPad at home broadband speeds before releasing a new version. It appears they only test it in an office with Gigabit ethernet.
Could be great but it's not. At all.
Too slow. Too clunky. Having an account doesn't actually save the same preferences as on the website. A way to favorite signs would be nice. A way to access favorite cameras saved on the website would be nice. A way to save commonly used drive times would be nice. Interface is dated and useless while driving. It had so much potential and is so disappointing. It's like someone said we have this data so let's make an app, rather than let's make an app that people will find useful.
Still using the slow Google Map API - unsure they’re even paying for it. The developer assured me a new version is coming out soon to use the same OpenStreetMaps as the web - which should be a performance update but quality loss. This is an afterthought, updated 2-4 times a year.
Developer Response ,
Update: We released a major update on Monday, December 7, 2020, with an all new interface and features. We hope you will download it from the app store and email us at GA511@iteris.com if you have any feedback. Dial 511 from anywhere in Georgia to report issues or request roadside assistance, or use the Roadside Assistance button in the app. Thanks for using GA 511. Safe travels.
(11/18/2020) Thank you for your review. The next major update is almost done and should definitely address the performance issues. The current plan is to release the update this month. We hope you’ll check it out and give us your feedback. You can also email us at GA511@iteris.com. Safe travels.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Iteris, Inc.
- 103 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © Copyright Iteris 2020
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.