Rediscover the joy of reading your favorite writers with Unread, an RSS reader with beautiful typography, comfortable gesture-based navigation, and a variety of color themes.
UNREAD CLOUD: Unread Cloud is a feed retrieval and syncing system for Unread. Create or log in to an Unread Cloud account on all your devices via Sign in with Apple. With an Unread Cloud account, our servers retrieve articles from feeds, and your device retrieves those articles from our servers. This makes refreshing your account fast, reduces the battery power and bandwidth required by your device, and ensures that you do not miss articles when your device is offline.
OTHER SYNCING OPTIONS: In addition to Unread Cloud, Unread can sync with your Feed Wrangler, Feedbin, Feedly, Fever, Inoreader, or NewsBlur account.
AUTOMATIC WEBPAGE TEXT: For feeds that contain only article summaries, Unread can display the full article text from the webpage. You can switch between feed text and webpage text for any article. You can make webpage text the default for individual feeds.
SHARE SHEET EXTENSION: Subscribe to a website’s feeds while visiting that website from Safari or any other web browser.
COLOR THEMES: Unread provides a variety of different color themes. Choose one theme for light mode and another for dark mode.
WIDGETS: Unread’s widgets display your most recent articles or unread article counts.
CACHING: Unread caches webpage text and images for instant loading and offline access. (Subscription required.)
HARDWARE KEYBOARD SUPPORT: Unread’s keyboard navigation capabilities and keyboard shortcuts make it a joy to use on an iPad with a hardware keyboard. Unread is also optimized for the trackpad and mouse on the iPad.
READ-LATER SERVICES: Unread provides native support for saving articles to Instapaper, Pinboard, Pocket, Raindrop.io, and Safari Reading List. (Subscription required.)
“What makes us such huge fans of Unread is the fact that it is a good, old-fashioned RSS reader in the mold of the early App Store days. It gets you to the content you want and immediately gets out of the way so that you can do what you went there to do: read words.”
– Oliver Haslam, How-To Geek
“Unread carries a strong history as one of the top RSS clients on iOS, and version 2 ensures that will remain true for a long while yet.”
– Ryan Christoffel, MacStories
“Unread is focused on eliminating chrome — it is a pure reading app. It’s like reader mode all the time, and the assortment of color themes is nicely curated.”
– John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Unread has full VoiceOver coverage. Every screen and every feature is available to users with vision impairments:
• From any screen you can perform a magic tap, a two-finger double tap, to open a menu of options available for that screen.
• When on an article list, there are actions available for each article in the list. After selecting an article, invoke the accessibility rotor and then select “Actions”. There is an action to mark the article read or unread, an action to share the article, and many others.
• Use the VoiceOver escape gesture, a two-finger “Z”, to back out of the current screen.
Unread is a free app. Additional functionality is available with a $19.99 (USD)/year auto-renewing subscription:
• Widget customization options.
• Article actions for sending articles directly to supported bookmarking and read later services, and for sharing via email or iMessage.
• Caching of webpage text and images.
• Custom app icons
• Premium support.
A subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your account settings on the App Store after purchase.
The most recent feature update added new custom app icons, a “Blue on Black” theme, article action improvements, and more.
This minor update adds the following improvements:
• The “Add Subscription” screen will now discover the Mastodon RSS feed when a Mastodon account URL is entered. Similarly the “Subscribe to Unread” share sheet extension will now discover a Mastodon user’s RSS feed when invoked from the user’s profile page or posts.
• This update adds a “Mastodon” button to the “About” screen. The button lets you open Unread’s profile page on Mastodon, copy a link to that page, or copy its handle. Unread is on Mastodon with the handle `@firstname.lastname@example.org`.
• This update fixes a bug that prevented home screen widgets from working under some circumstances.
• This update fixes a bug around syncing the read/unread status values and starred/unstarred status values of articles.
Ratings and Reviews
One of the best!!!
As someone who currently owns or has owned every RSS reader in the App Store I will tell you that Unread ranks as one of the top three. It will be number one of those three depending on your reading tastes. To put it bluntly Unread provides the best reading experience of any RSS reader out there period. The way it handles formatting of text and content is simply amazing.
Unread is what I would call “Low and slow”. It’s a minimalist interface (Which I love). It is designed for you to lay back on your couch and just enjoy reading high quality content from high quality websites and blogs. Unread is not the RSS reader for Power users or somebody that has hundreds of feeds that they are trying to organize and plow through content (Although I have 160 feeds and Unread still does this for me masterfully).
The developer is RESPONSIVE!!! This is so critical in any app I review. John is not only an amazing developer but also you can tell he genuinely cares about Unread and his user bases experiences. He takes feedback and he actually implements the feedback that aligns with the app philosophy. There are other readers with more features. But this reader has the RIGHT features to ensure an excellent reading experience. I am excited for future improvements because I know they will be done right. Well worth the investment. Easiest $20 I ever spent.
10/10 Will Pay Again!
I tried Unread before and it didn’t stick. After getting off Twitter and wanting a healthy way to stay well-informed I returned to RSS. A key feature for me is pinning to Pinboard. Unread’s ability to add quick actions on article selection is phenomenal and allows me to streamline my pinning process. Further, full screen reading mode is something I didn’t even know I wanted, but now I can’t live without. Blocking out distractions, I find that full screen keeps me more focused on the material at hand. 100% I can recommend Unread over any other RSS app in the store, particularly Reeder which is, in my opinion, it’s main contender.
Hands down Unread is the best RSS reader app and I've tried most of them.
The layout is beautiful, intuitive and very responsive. It connects to Inoreader perfectly. It also supports other services but Inoreader is the one I use. New articles appears almost instantly when I open the app and background refresh works well.
There's just enough customization for me so it doesn't get overwhelming and still feels personalized. Do yourself a favor and at least try it out.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- John Brayton
- 35.9 MB
- Requires iOS 15.5 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.5 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.5 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2022 Golden Hill Software. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Unread Annual Subscription $19.99
- Unread Monthly Subscription $2.99
- Unread: Free first year $19.99
- Unread: Discounted first year $19.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.