We’re the biggest newsroom in Wisconsin. We’ve won awards for outstanding journalism in just about every category imaginable, including three Pulitzer Prizes. We serve the biggest audience in Milwaukee. But none of that matters to us as much as this fundamental idea: We’re here to seek the truth, to understand the world around us, and to understand one another.
• Access all of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s in-depth coverage, including things to do around town and analysis of the Packers, Brewers, Bucks, Badgers, high school teams, and more.
• Enjoy a streamlined, fast-loading experience that makes it easy to view the stories, photos, and videos that matter to you.
• Get breaking news, sports scores, and weather alerts with real-time notifications tailored to your interests.
• Customize your experience by saving your favorite stories, adjusting text size, using night mode, or reading offline.
• The Journal Sentinel app is free to download and all users can access a sampling of free articles every month.
• For unlimited access to all content, subscribe now and get 3 months for just 99¢ per month ($9.99/month after), or $69.99 annually. If you are already a subscriber to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, you can sign in with your existing subscription.
• Subscriptions are charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase and automatically renew each month or year, unless turned off in your iTunes account settings at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage your subscriptions and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your iTunes Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription, where applicable. See "Subscription Support" in the app's Settings for more details and customer service contact information.
• Terms of Service: http://static.jsonline.com/terms/
• Questions or Comments: email@example.com
• We've updated the For You tab so that all your personalized features are easy to find.
• And we've resolved bugs to improve the user experience.
Ratings and Reviews
Good, for A Gannett Paper
The MJS has been a conscience of Wisconsin voters and a much needed watchdog of local and state government. A defender of open records laws when the GOP in Madison continually tried to slip one past the electorate (and called them out when they lied about it). Investigations into topics like alcohol related traffic deaths (certainly rankling the powerful Tavern League lobbyists) and suspicious deaths at all-inclusive Mexican resorts have been outstanding, among others. My worries that their sale to Gannett would weaken their mission have largely been unfounded, so far. But I'm still watching closely. Excellent sports coverage, even with the retirement of the legendary Bob McGinn.
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (MJS) is like family
Our neighborhood BookClub recently completed a book, This Tender Land by author William Kent Krueger, which received a thumbs up from all 10+ members. This entertaining and sometimes heart-wrenching book spun tales that incorporated facts of its time, and in the ending, wrapped up characters together in a satisfying way, as does the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Like the main character, Odie (short for Odysseus) MJS is the narrator of our local family stories; MJS scribes events and
our journey-sometimes joyful, tender, but bitter too—offering to teach, enrich, share sorrow-a touchstone of the familiar. As we collectively long for the days when everything was local and familiar, times change; life has become bigger, broader and more global. Despite the new distance, I for one am appreciative of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinels ability to write stories that provide a sense of home-like a friend. Like family.
Sad for my old Paper
60+ years ago I was a paperboy for the WSJ and later the Milwaukee Journal. I still remember the Sunday editions around the holidays reaching upwards of 600 pages! Those mornings sometimes required at least 2 trips to our distributor’s office to refill my bike basket. Other times my mother would get up early and drive me around my route (what a relief on some cold mornings!).
I also remember the news coverage back then was pretty straightforward- readers got the who, what, where, when, how of a story along with other potentially informative facts. In general we were then allowed to think for ourselves, discuss with others and form our own opinions. Important topics that might be controversial could be found on the Editorial or Opinion Page. These writers expressed their thoughts on a topic that often provided insight that helped inform our point of view.
Today’s Gannet/USA Today “news” with the MJS name bears little resemblance to the real Journalism of the past. To get today’s news accurately takes effort using other sources. Today’s Journal Sentinel “news coverage” is mostly a Groupthink take on a given topic- Beware if this (and related providers) are your only sources.
MJS remains a very good source for Sports reporting and the only reason I still subscribe; and the only reason they get 2 stars in my ranking.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 199.6 MB
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
English, Arabic, Armenian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2023 Gannett Co., Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Digital Subscription $14.99
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Annual Digital Subscription $69.99