“ProtonMail offers encrypted email, which makes it virtually impossible for anyone to read it except the sender and the recipient.” Wall Street Journal
ProtonMail is the world’s largest encrypted email service with over 1 million users. The ProtonMail secure email app for iPhone and iPad brings easy-to-use email encryption to your mobile device by seamlessly integrating PGP end-to-end encryption. ProtonMail also provides a modern user interface with a full set of innovative features such as customizable swipe gestures and the ability to send expiring emails.
Since we were founded by CERN scientists in 2013, we have been joined by citizens from around the globe who have supported our mission to protect online privacy. Our mobile app was made possible by a record-breaking $550,000 donation campaign. With the ProtonMail app, you can now create your own free ProtonMail email account and start experiencing the secure email of the future.
Why use ProtonMail?
• Ensure your emails stay private and cannot be intercepted or disclosed to third parties
• End-to-end encryption, OpenPGP compatible
• Easy-to-use: encryption is done automatically and is completely invisible to the user
• Zero-access: all messages are stored in encrypted format—not even ProtonMail can read your messages
• Open source: ProtonMail's encryption is open to inspection by security experts from around the world
• Free: ProtonMail is 100% free, no catches.
• Swiss privacy and neutrality: ProtonMail is hosted entirely in Switzerland, under the protection of the world's strongest privacy laws
With the ProtonMail app, you can:
• Create a new @protonmail.com email address with automatic PGP key creation and management
• Send and receive encrypted emails and attachments automatically
• Set timers for messages to self-destruct after sending
• Quickly organize emails with customizable swipe gestures and labels
• Get push notification of new emails
• Send password protected encrypted emails to non-ProtonMail email addresses
ProtonMail in the press:
“ProtonMail is a gmail-like email system which uses end-to-end encryption, making it impossible for outside parties to monitor.” Forbes
“A new email service being developed by a group from MIT and CERN promises to bring secure, encrypted email to the masses and keep sensitive information away from prying eyes.” Huffington Post
- App crashed when opening messages from notifications in certain conditions
- PIN/FaceID/TouchID protection
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great service, lacking a few features to make it a home run
ProtonMail is an excellent service for both the privacy conscious and the masses. The reason so many email providers are free is because it the provider is in a privileged position to scan all of your emails. ProtonMail sets itself apart from the rest, and doesn’t read your email, or store it in a format that they can access.
I would highly recommend a paid plan, even if you don’t need any paid features. Pay for your usage with your money, not your data.
However, the absence of one feature makes the ProtonMail experience painful (-1 star): No notification dismissal syncing. If I read an email on my iPad, it will still show the notification on my phone until I open the app. Almost every other mail/chat app has notification dismissal syncing, but when I asked ProtonMail about implementing this feature, they said it was not possible. If they found a way to add this feature (and it’s possible considering other services can do it), then this service would be a true 5 stars.
Developer Response ,
Hi! Thank you for your feedback. We plan to improve our notification synchronization in the near future. We would appreciate if you consider updating your review once this feature is released.
App Keeps Getting Better
(The prior #4, below, was "Need ability to search entire email message for key words, not just search the subject and sender." This is now in the app. The new #4 is also a request for a new search feature: search urls in bookmarks and Favorites.)
ProtonMail itself is generally very useful. I've been a paid user for at least 2 years, and am very pleased that the email account comes bundled with ProtonVPN. My experiences with Support have all been positive; the Support staff is knowledgeable and helpful.
However, the ProtonMail app still needs a few features to make managing email easier; I see that other people have asked for some of the features. This list is numbered by importance to me:
1. Need ability to select multiple messages from a filtered list to be able delete, tag, or move them to another folder. Having to open each message one at a time to do this is tedious.
2. Need ability to filter by date range.
3. Need to have sub-folders. For example, I would have a main folder called "Travel" and then have a subfolder for each destination or year or whatever makes sense.
4. The addition of the Favorites folder is helpful, but it is still tedious to find bookmarks to move into the Favorites folder. App needs the ability to search the bookmark urls, and once the desired bookmark is found, we need an easy way to move it to or from Favorites as well as open it or delete it if it's no longer needed.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for report! We’ve found and fixed this issue and will release it in 1.11.7 👏
Excellent Privacy Focused Email
TLDR version: great app/service for the price. App could use some creature comforts from an app like Spark or Airmail.
It does what it advertises and does so at a fair price, especially if paired with their VPN product. In my opinion it works best when paired with something like gmail for the items where security isn’t as critical. That way you’re not missing out on the convenience of google for certain items (family calendars or contact sync to iDevices for example), at least until Proton is able to provide solutions for those use cases.
Only suggestions to make this mail app better would be to have a one touch option for archiving a message on the screen when I read a message. Currently one must either call press to open the menu bar further then again the archive, or press the folder button at the top then choose the folder and press apply. The second functionality improvement would be use of share sheet or at least ability to export a message as a pdf. Every now and then it’s nice to be able to forward an email to someone as a text and export to pdf makes that happen easily.
The other suggestions are cosmetic only, and that is more color schemes, at least a light and dark would be nice and the option to use other app icons. The lock is nice but they also have the various proton logos that would work well too.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. We will share your suggestion with our team.
- Proton Technologies AG
- 219.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kabyle, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © Proton Technologies AG
- In-App Purchases
- ProtonMail Plus (1 year) $59.99
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.