“ProtonMail offers encrypted email, which makes it virtually impossible for anyone to read it except the sender and the recipient.” Wall Street Journal
ProtonMail is the world’s largest encrypted email service with over 1 million users. The ProtonMail secure email app for iPhone and iPad brings easy-to-use email encryption to your mobile device by seamlessly integrating PGP end-to-end encryption. ProtonMail also provides a modern user interface with a full set of innovative features such as customizable swipe gestures and the ability to send expiring emails.
Since we were founded by CERN scientists in 2013, we have been joined by citizens from around the globe who have supported our mission to protect online privacy. Our mobile app was made possible by a record-breaking $550,000 donation campaign. With the ProtonMail app, you can now create your own free ProtonMail email account and start experiencing the secure email of the future.
Why use ProtonMail?
• Ensure your emails stay private and cannot be intercepted or disclosed to third parties
• End-to-end encryption, OpenPGP compatible
• Easy-to-use: encryption is done automatically and is completely invisible to the user
• Zero-access: all messages are stored in encrypted format—not even ProtonMail can read your messages
• Open source: ProtonMail's encryption is open to inspection by security experts from around the world
• Free: ProtonMail is 100% free, no catches.
• Swiss privacy and neutrality: ProtonMail is hosted entirely in Switzerland, under the protection of the world's strongest privacy laws
With the ProtonMail app, you can:
• Create a new @protonmail.com email address with automatic PGP key creation and management
• Send and receive encrypted emails and attachments automatically
• Set timers for messages to self-destruct after sending
• Quickly organize emails with customizable swipe gestures and labels
• Get push notification of new emails
• Send password protected encrypted emails to non-ProtonMail email addresses
ProtonMail in the press:
“ProtonMail is a gmail-like email system which uses end-to-end encryption, making it impossible for outside parties to monitor.” Forbes
“A new email service being developed by a group from MIT and CERN promises to bring secure, encrypted email to the masses and keep sensitive information away from prying eyes.” Huffington Post
- Updated the GopenPGP cryptographic library to version 2 for better security and improved stability
- Added a warning that announces to users that we will drop compatibility with iOS10
- Improved the experience when adding badly formatted email addresses as a recipient of an email
- Improved error handling when sending emails to badly formatted email addresses
- Improved the process of creating, updating, saving and recovering drafts
- Improved the synchronization of messages
- improved various aspects of UI/UX for better clarity
- Sometimes user would receive duplicated push notifications with the second one showing a generic message saying "You received a new message!"
- Sometimes a message sending error would be displayed saying "Message sending failed. Please try again: EOF"
- Sometimes a message sending error would be displayed saying "Message sending failed. The package is required."
- In some cases, the received message would appear encrypted only in the iOS app
- In some cases, an "invalid access token" message would be displayed after opening the app
- When starting with 0, the Two-Factor Authentication code would not be accepted
- The back button on the create PIN flow did not work
- Fixed various crashes that could happened when sending a message
- Fixed a crash that occurred when deleting emails from the trash folder
- Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when the app is in the background
- Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when selecting a phone number from the message body
- Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when opening the app from a push notification
- Fixed a bug whereby the refresh spinner would keep spinning forever
- Fixed various issues related to displaying the updated list of emails
- Fixed a bug whereby text contained in angled brackets would be badly displayed
- Fixed a bug in the report bug flow that prevented users from properly submitting the report
- Fixed a bug whereby a queue management issue leading to the spinner spinning forever
- Fixed various bugs whereby the download of the message list would be delayed or incomplete
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great service, lacking a few features to make it a home run
ProtonMail is an excellent service for both the privacy conscious and the masses. The reason so many email providers are free is because it the provider is in a privileged position to scan all of your emails. ProtonMail sets itself apart from the rest, and doesn’t read your email, or store it in a format that they can access.
I would highly recommend a paid plan, even if you don’t need any paid features. Pay for your usage with your money, not your data.
However, the absence of one feature makes the ProtonMail experience painful (-1 star): No notification dismissal syncing. If I read an email on my iPad, it will still show the notification on my phone until I open the app. Almost every other mail/chat app has notification dismissal syncing, but when I asked ProtonMail about implementing this feature, they said it was not possible. If they found a way to add this feature (and it’s possible considering other services can do it), then this service would be a true 5 stars.
Developer Response ,
Hi! Thank you for your feedback. We plan to improve our notification synchronization in the near future. We would appreciate if you consider updating your review once this feature is released.
Can’t send important emails/inconsistent
I’ve been using Prtnmail for a while, and it has recently been brought to my attention that I haven’t been able to send emails to specific secure emails, namely to my Credit Union Financial Operations (finops) and to the Claims Adjuster of my insurance company. Additionally, I can’t use my ProtonMail email address as my primary email address for my bank account, as they don’t allow anonymous email addresses to be used by their customers.
Is/are there ways to get around my issues I’m experiencing? These are important emails, and I wasn’t aware that they didn’t go through until I had contacted the aforementioned companies to follow-up with my emails. Had I not contacted my Credit Union, I would not have known that my email message didn’t get received by the finops department of my Credit Union. On the other hand, I did receive an email alert immediately after attempting to send my message to the Claims Adjuster stating that my message failed to deliver.
Can somebody at ProtonMail lend me assistance or explain the reason(s) as to why my messages aren’t going through? How can I resolve this issue? This is a deal-breaker for me, and I’ll need to find a secure email server that I can use for more consistency/reliability. It makes me wonder whether or not other important email messages I had “sent” were actually sent to the recipient(s).
Developer Response ,
Thank you for reporting this issue to us. To help you we need more information. We suggest contacting us via email@example.com with the following information:
- the list of entities that have rejected, or have not received emails you have sent from your Proton address, with dates and times of those emails, if possible.
- the reason/error message provided, indicating that the mail was rejected, if you have received any
- non-delivery notice emails, in case you received any (please attach email headers)
- replies from the entities' support teams, in case you have contacted any, and heard back from them (screenshots of their replies would be best)
If you would allow us to mention your name in our communication with the entities in question, we would also need the name under which you communicate to the said entities, and the Proton e-mail address you use to communicate with them.
Thank you very much in advance.
App Keeps Getting Better
(The prior #4, below, was "Need ability to search entire email message for key words, not just search the subject and sender." This is now in the app. The new #4 is also a request for a new search feature: search urls in bookmarks and Favorites.)
ProtonMail itself is generally very useful. I've been a paid user for at least 2 years, and am very pleased that the email account comes bundled with ProtonVPN. My experiences with Support have all been positive; the Support staff is knowledgeable and helpful.
However, the ProtonMail app still needs a few features to make managing email easier; I see that other people have asked for some of the features. This list is numbered by importance to me:
1. Need ability to select multiple messages from a filtered list to be able delete, tag, or move them to another folder. Having to open each message one at a time to do this is tedious.
2. Need ability to filter by date range.
3. Need to have sub-folders. For example, I would have a main folder called "Travel" and then have a subfolder for each destination or year or whatever makes sense.
4. The addition of the Favorites folder is helpful, but it is still tedious to find bookmarks to move into the Favorites folder. App needs the ability to search the bookmark urls, and once the desired bookmark is found, we need an easy way to move it to or from Favorites as well as open it or delete it if it's no longer needed.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for report! We’ve found and fixed this issue and will release it in 1.11.7 👏
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Proton Technologies AG
- 212 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kabyle, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © Proton Technologies AG
- In-App Purchases
- ProtonMail Plus (1 year) $59.99
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.