"A great way to give parents a break and let your kid have fun and learn to read at the same time." - Jen, Kindergarten teacher and mom of three.
I have a confession to make. My son's favorite game was Fruit Ninja and I was getting increasingly frustrated with having my son waste a lot of time on a fun but mindless game while he was still struggling to master his sight words and learning to read.
So I decided to create our very own Sight Words slicing game and to my and my son's delight, he now has a new favorite game where he is having fun and learning at the same time.
My sons skills in recognizing Sight Words have dramatically improved since he started playing this game and now I no longer have to feel guilty when I need a five minute break to take care of the laundry or prepare lunch for the kids. I know that they are having fun and that they are learning at the same time.
Warning: Your child will keep begging for your iPhone or iPad after they try this app.
Sight Words Ninja is an exciting educational game that helps kids rapidly learn sight words by sight, sound, and touch.
The interface is so easy to use that even a 9 month old baby will delight in using this app.
• Slice your way through all sights words from preschool to grade 3
• You decide what to focus on - turn individual categories ON or OFF from the settings page
• Learn by sight, sound, and touch
• Fun game play, sounds, and animations keep kids engaged
• Dynamic game play adjusts difficulty (the number of sight words) automatically based on player skills to keep kids both challenged and entertained vs. getting bored
• Supports 3 difficulty settings: EASY, MEDIUM, or HARD
- Max 1 sight word
- Sight words move very slowly
- Great for introducing sight words one at a time
- Starts with 1 sight word
- Max of 3 sight words on screen
- Sight words move 30% faster
- Starts with 2 sight words
- Max of 5 sight words on screen
- Sight words move even faster
- Sight words rotate faster too
Adjust difficulty from settings page.
• Wrong answers do not interfere with gameplay, the child can immediately try again and slice the correct answer (most other games are too slow to keep kids interested by interrupting the gameplay and slowly repeating the desired question)
• Play Sight Words from A to Z or in random order (adjustable from settings page)
• Multi-sensory learning tool - combining audio, voice, and touch
• Want to work on just a few Sight Words? No problem… head to the settings page to turn entire categories or individual Sight Words on and off
• Want to record your own audios? No problem. Just click on the category and record your own Sight Words sounds
• Supports three levels of difficulty
Heroic Support is not just what we do. It's really what makes us, well, us. It's that drive to make a difference in your life - no matter how big or small. Really, it's our way of life because we want you to be our customer for a lifetime of fun and learning.
Have questions? We are here to help. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ensured that app works well with latest version of iOS
Ensured that app works well across all iOS devices
Minor bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I like that I can customize which words
I like that I can choose which words I want my child to work on. My children like this app and it seems to be helping. The only thing I wish is that the word would be 100% visible all the time, what I mean by that is sometimes when the word comes up it is to far to the right or left that half or sometimes most of the word can’t be seen. Seeing the entire word and hearing the word is very important for my child to recognize it and reinforce what we have worked on with flash cards and reading. I would have given the app a 5 star rating if my child saw the entire words 100% of the time. Maybe an update will be able to fix this.
The word lists are quite limited
I just downloaded this app to augment my pre-K daughter’s memorization of her sight words before kindergarten. I’m disappointed because the lists are quite limited and missing a large percentage of the words they need to know by the end of kinder.
I am going to send a request to the developer to add the missing words for us. Better yet, I’d like to have the ability to add my own words!
One more small annoyance, but real, is that the words are not in alphabetical order. This makes selecting individual words that you want your child to work on more cumbersome and time consuming than it needs to be.
All told, it’s $2 bucks, so it did not break the bank...but it could be much better, with ease.
I thought the sound didn’t work
The sound works fine. My iPad was muted. If you have this problem google the issue or:
Open Control Center. If you have an iPad without Face ID, you open Control Center by swiping up from the bottom, but if your iPad does have Face ID, swipe down from the upper right corner.
Look for the mute button. It's muted if it's highlighted, just tap it once to unmute the iPad. The mute button looks like a bell (it might have a slash through it on some iPads)
Otherwise the app is better than sight words cards and other games we’ve tried. My son is 6, and he hates this less than my other efforts.
I can also see see how it can be redundant. But again, so are flash cards.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Innovative Investments Limited
- 55.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © GrasshopperApps
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.