TAP is your ticket to ride transit in greater Los Angeles! It is accepted on 26 systems including LA Metro, providing a vast network of buses and trains.
- Make your travel safe and easy with touchless payment and card management.
- Add a new TAP card to your iPhone and Apple Watch and use your fare immediately.
- Use your iPhone (8 and above) and Apple Watch (Series 3 and above) to tap with Apple Pay when boarding a bus or train.
- Enjoy flexible payment options including credit/debit cards, account cash and Apple Pay.
- Purchase a transit pass or Stored Value for any agency in Los Angeles County.â€©
- Manage multiple cards in your TAP account (iPhone 5 and above).
- Add your TAP card to Apple Wallet, enable Express Transit and quickly tap and pay when you board. You don't even have to wake up your phone!
- Supports reduced fares for seniors, students, persons with disabilities and low-income riders.
- Transfer a TAP card in your account to your Apple Wallet and leave the plastic at home.
- Access multimodal programs such as Metro Bike Share.
- Use Trip Tools to plan trips, find nearby transit options, view real-time arrivals and save favorite destinations and stops.
- Enjoy the benefits of a TAP account, such as Balance Protection, card management, discounts, promotions, transaction history and friendly customer service.
- Accepted on 26 transit systems in LA County including:
Angels Flight Railway
Antelope Valley Transit Authority (AVTA)
Baldwin Park Transit
Beach Cities Transit
Compton Renaissance Transit System
Glendora Transportation Division
Huntington Park Transit Unlimited
LA County Department of Public Works
Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA)
Long Beach Transit
Montebello Bus Lines
Monterey Park Spirit Bus
Palos Verdes Peninsula Transit Authority
Santa Clarita Transit
Santa Monica Big Blue Bus
Support for $2 Card fee. Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
WTH does inbound/outbound even mean?
Devs, please don’t go ‘off the reservation’ by getting all fancy on us; please stick to using official Metro time-tested nomenclature (which has been used on Metro system for over 5 decades, even back when it was called RTD) by referring to lines by ‘line number’, ‘direction of travel’ and ‘city of final destination’ (eg 233 N / Lake View Terrace).
Using “inbound/outbound” nomenclature is fixing a problem which wasn’t even broken in the first place, & only adds needless confusion (think about it for a moment: if you stand at ANY bus stop in the city, the bus serving that line/stop will be inbound before it arrives, and become outbound after it departs from the stop. But the problem is that same principle applies to the bus stop ACROSS the street too, so it’s needlessly confusing).
And YES, I realize the conventional info. for the line’s final destination is available in a sun-menu, but why make users drill down into another sub-menu and exit it, when that’s a completely unnecessary step?
Just stick to standard official Metro terminology, and show the info. on the main menu (I’m old enough to remember when app devs valued ‘elegance’ over ‘needless complexity’).
Of All The Features, Only One Really Works
The app is decent for adding a virtual tap card to tour wallet and paying fare through that. Aside from that, the search bar is unresponsive, it doesn’t usually load bus times for routes, and when you can get a list of stops for a route you have to figure out what “Inbound/Outbound” means otherwise you could end up referencing the time for the wrong direction. Frankly, just use google maps if you wanna plan a trip, since it also tracks the metro buses.
Worst App on my phone
Keep cash on you because this app I’m not reliable at all. It crashes in every which way an app can crash and doesn’t work at the most inconvenient times. If you rely on this app you will end up having to sound stupid and look in question when you have to explain to the bus driver that it isn’t working, won’t add funds, you added funds and it shows the funds are on your card on the app and the bus driver sees it also but it doesn’t work on the machine while everyone else’s works just fine. Such a disservice to the LA community to allow something that could be so useful and reliable be the opposite on a constant basis. Also when you submit a help request they respond to you as if you don’t know what you are doing. Trash.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- 118.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.