Rediscover the joy of reading your favorite writers with Unread, an RSS reader with beautiful typography, comfortable gesture-based navigation, and a variety of color themes.
AUTOMATIC WEBPAGE TEXT: For feeds that contain only article summaries, Unread can display the full article text from the webpage. You can switch between feed text and webpage text for any article. You can make webpage text the default for individual feeds. Unread will even analyze your feeds and default to webpage text for those that contain only article summaries.
COLOR THEMES: Unread provides a variety of different color themes. Choose one theme for light mode and another for dark mode.
SYNCING: Unread syncs with your Feed Wrangler, Feedbin, Feedly, Fever, Inoreader, or NewsBlur account.
CACHING: Unread caches webpage text and images for instant loading and offline access. (Subscription required.)
HARDWARE KEYBOARD SUPPORT: Unread's keyboard navigation capabilities and keyboard shortcuts make it a joy to use on an iPad with a hardware keyboard. Unread is also optimized for the trackpad and mouse on the iPad.
READ-LATER SERVICES: Unread provides native support for saving articles to Instapaper, Pocket, and Safari Reading List.
MULTIPLE WINDOWS: Look at two articles side-by-side, or browse an article list while keeping an article open.
SUBSCRIPTION MANAGEMENT: Unsubscribe from feeds, subscribe to new feeds, and reorganize feed subscriptions.
FOOTNOTE POPOVERS: Unread provides convenient popovers for reading footnotes.
ACCESSIBILITY: Unread has 100% VoiceOver coverage. Every screen and every feature is available to users with vision impairments. Actions on articles can be quickly triggered using actions on the accessibility rotor.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
“Unread, now developed by Golden Hill Software, is one of the more elegant options based on comfortable gestures and a focused reading experience.”
–Federico Viticci, MacStories
“Unread’s new functionality maintains its support for the latest RSS features, but ensures a pleasant reading experience remains at the forefront of its priorities.”
–Josh Ginter, The Sweet Setup
“Unread is one of my favorite reading apps on iOS.”
–Preshit Deorukhkar, Beautiful Pixels
“All told, Unread 2’s trackpad and cursor support has naturally morphed from the app’s still-great swiping-only navigational system, and, at least in my world, has made Unread as good a desktop RSS processor as it was a comfortable RSS reading app.”
— Josh Ginter, The Sweet Setup
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Unread is free to download and try with reading and feature limitations. To unlock the full power of Unread there is a $19.99 (USD)/year auto-renewing subscription. That subscription adds the following:
• Removal of all reading limits
• Caching of webpage text and images
• A selection of alternative icons
A subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your account settings on the App Store after purchase.
New Article Actions:
• Mail Article mails the content of the article.
• Mail Article Link mails a link to the article.
• Pinboard saves a bookmark to an article in your Pinboard account.
• Raindrop.io saves a bookmark to an article in your Raindrop.io account.
Each article action can be invoked by keyboard shortcut: option-i for Mail Article, command-i for Mail Article Link, command-shift-b for Pinboard, and command-shift-r for Raindrop.io.
Keyboard Navigation Improvements:
When navigating up and down an article list via hardware keyboard with space or shift-space, Unread now stops at breaks between articles when possible rather than scrolling a fixed number of points up and down the screen. This change also applies to other screens with lists of items.
For Feedly customers, the list of Saved Articles is now called “Read Later”. The wording around adding and removing articles to this list has also been updated. The underlying functionality is unchanged, but I updated the wording to reflect a change in Feedly’s nomenclature.
• Most animations now happen about 30% faster.
• This update adds improved formatting of aside elements.
• Overscrolling in order to scroll to the next article, scroll to the previous article, mark all read, or pull to refresh is now easier with a trackpad or mouse.
• Unread now plays video in embedded iframes from player.twitch.tv.
• Unread now uses a Content Security Policy as an additional mechanism to ensure that articles cannot execute arbitrary scripts.
• Unread will now consider a feed private if its URL path contains the string “/private/” or the string “/pri/”, or if its URL contains the query parameter “unread_private=true”. Private feeds have webpage text turned off by default. URLs of private feeds are never sent to the Unread Web Service.
• The context menu for a subscription row now includes a Copy Feed Link menu item.
• Retrieving articles is now significantly faster.
• Unread now uses better article list images for articles from underconsideration.com under some circumstances.
• Performing actions from context menus is now smoother.
• Article previews now display more smoothly.
• This update fixes bugs around and improves the performance of loading subsequent pages of articles after scrolling to the end of an article list.
• This update fixes some article list and article display glitches.
• This update fixes a bug that caused the scroll position on an article to change under some circumstances after closing and reopening Unread.
• This update fixes some bugs around syncing article status.
• This update fixes a bug that caused the left arrow key on a hardware keyboard to behave in unexpected ways when the focus is on a text field.
• This update fixes a crash that could occur under some circumstances when searching for a feed by URL.
• This update fixes a bug where, under some circumstances, tapping a link to a website could bring the user to the website’s feed instead of the website’s home page.
• This update fixes a bug where, under some circumstances, swiping back did not work while refreshing an account.
• This update fixes a bug that would prevent a videos from having a play control under some circumstances.
• This update fixes a bug that would cause article lists for NewsBlur folders to exclude articles that exist in subfolders.
• Unread now better handles articles that do not have webpage URLs.
This update requires version 13.5 or later of iOS or iPadOS.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
One of the best!!!
As someone who currently owns or has owned every RSS reader in the App Store I will tell you that Unread ranks as one of the top three. It will be number one of those three depending on your reading tastes. To put it bluntly Unread provides the best reading experience of any RSS reader out there period. The way it handles formatting of text and content is simply amazing.
Unread is what I would call “Low and slow”. It’s a minimalist interface (Which I love). It is designed for you to lay back on your couch and just enjoy reading high quality content from high quality websites and blogs. Unread is not the RSS reader for Power users or somebody that has hundreds of feeds that they are trying to organize and plow through content (Although I have 160 feeds and Unread still does this for me masterfully).
The developer is RESPONSIVE!!! This is so critical in any app I review. John is not only an amazing developer but also you can tell he genuinely cares about Unread and his user bases experiences. He takes feedback and he actually implements the feedback that aligns with the app philosophy. There are other readers with more features. But this reader has the RIGHT features to ensure an excellent reading experience. I am excited for future improvements because I know they will be done right. Well worth the investment. Easiest $20 I ever spent.
Less is more
Unlike most other RSS apps, the interface and functionality of Unread 2 are both pared back to nearly the bare minimum. But the thoughtful, minimal design of Unread 2 is exactly what makes it excel at the one job of an RSS app: making it easy for me to read articles from sites that I care about. Instead of making me wade through a bog of unnecessary features to get to the content I care about, Unread 2 puts it front and center where it belongs.
Content aside, the design of Unread 2 is both charming and effective. The aesthetic is pretty, the animations feel right, and the swipe actions are a neat take on secondary actions that I wish other apps would copy.
Overall, a very well done app.
Fantastic update to my daily reader
I’ve been using Unread for years and this is a great update. It has a beautiful design and fluid interface, making it the fastest way for me to keep up with the news that’s important to me. The new webpage full text and caching features alone are worth the upgrade price. And I can now manage my feeds and add new feeds right in the app, no more futzing around with a different app or website. I also love the Instapaper integration. Kudos on a great update to an essential app!
- John Brayton
- 17.9 MB
Requires iOS 13.5 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2020 Golden Hill Software. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Annual Subscription $19.99
- Free first year $19.99
- Discounted first year $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.