Zen Brush’s colorful evolution!
Zen Brush 3 is a drawing app focused on the strong yet beautiful feel of the East Asian ink brush which can be used to perform calligraphy, ink painting and more.
The drawing system that brings to life a feeling of silky fluent and delicate painting now allows an even wider range of expression thanks to the addition of "water" and "color". Providing a new simple and intuitive user interface, this app is designed to be optimal for performing Zen art.
Simply start the app and you are immediately ready to draw. Anyone, anywhere, can create superb Zen art with this app’s uniquely rich expressiveness. You can also easily share and edit your calligraphy and images with other apps using the Export functionality. Skillfully use the rich background style templates to create and share atmospheric artwork.
- The drawing system simulates a 3D model of an East Asian ink brush to enable varied and natural styles of brush handling.
- The adjustable amount of water makes it possible to create expressions ranging from powerful edge effects to "nijimi" (bleeding) and "bokashi" (blurring) where colors mix.
- You can also enjoy creating colored-ink paintings as well as watercolor paintings by making use of 30 selected traditional Japanese colors.
- The layer functionality allows more flexible editing.
- Import photos to add text to them or use them as background images for tracing.
- Create fascinating artwork with a rich assortment of background style templates.
- Traditional Japanese paper templates provide an authentic feel.
- 5 main tools (ink brush, color brush, water brush, eraser, blotting paper).
- 10 levels of thickness.
- 5 levels of water (not applicable to blotting paper).
- 10 levels of ink tone (not applicable to water brush and blotting paper).
- Color palette with 30 colors.
- 89 background style templates.
- Drying functionality (fast dry, instant dry, adjustable natural dry).
- Layers functionality (import image / color adjustment / move / rotate / scale / reverse left and right / white transparency / gradation effect).
- Guide display (character guides / partition guides / grid guides).
- Movable toolbar (top / bottom / left / right).
- Canvas zoom (zoom in and out with pinch gestures).
- Undo / redo (5 levels).
- Export functionality (formats: JPEG, PNG, transparent PNG (no background)).
- Support for Apple Pencil (1st and 2nd generation).
- Support for 3D Touch (where available: iPhone 6S - XS).
- Drawing tool selection (finger and stylus / stylus only).
- Adjustable brush pressure sensitivity (5 levels, with supported stylus only).
- Adjustable tilt sensitivity (5 levels, with supported stylus only).
- Gesture functionality (pinch zoom and drag, zoom toggle with 2-finger tap).
- 3D brush display (enable / disable).
- Pointer display (enable / disable).
- 5 levels of canvas resolution with a maximum of 3072 x 4096 pixels (the higher resolutions do not work on devices with lower specs).
- Improved painting fluidity.
- Added "New Year" templates.
- Adjusted the texture of the ink.
- Added support for tapping with Apple Pencil (2nd generation) (choose the functionality in the Settings screen).
- Improved stability when processing imports from Zen Brush 2.
Ratings and Reviews
It needs a tutorial
But fun to play with and an interesting thing to use for art block. Rules loosen the mind and make you think more creatively. So I’m impressed with how well it mimics traditional brushes. For line art you can import a sketch and pant it in. The colors are a great addition. The brush sizing bar needs some work and maybe add some cool special effect like salt to the paint, or liquid frisk. You could take this further by adding natural fabric backgrounds and melted wax to mimic batik silk painting since they traditionally use the same brushes. Don’t mind the art major rambling but it’s a mess free way to play with calligraphy brushes which run about $20-$30 per brush plush the solid ink sets with the grinding stone. This app is a fun time.
Highly expressive and useful
While you might think this is a silly app, just to simulate brush strokes, it’s much more than that. The ability to bring in artwork from other programs via layers, control the drying time, work wet, all quite amazing and unmatched. You just cannot do what this does in any other program. I do wish you could have custom color palettes; then close to perfect.
Doomo arigato gozaimasu!
Badly butchered app
Zen Brush 2 improved on a great simple program with an intuitive interface by adding multiple undos. Sadly, ZenBrush 3 loses whatever made the original program so excellent. The dry brush effect so brilliantly nuanced, textured and expressive in Zen Brush 2 has been softened and weakened in ZenBrush 3. Equally, the intuitive interface of version 2 has been complicated and butchered in Zen Brush 3. For instance, the Layer function in v3 leaves you scratching your head wondering how the application of something so intuitive and straightforward in so many other apps like Procreate and ArtRage could be so badly blundered that it is unintelligible. That is a shame. I’ve always seen ZenBrush as being much more than a calligraphy app. The expressive quality of the brush strokes in the original lent themselves to abstract art or illustrative purposes. That expressive flexible utility has been blunted in version 3.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- P SOFTHOUSE Co., Ltd.
- 169.1 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 P SOFTHOUSE Co., Ltd. Developed by PSOFT MOBILE
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.