Zen Brush’s colorful evolution!
Zen Brush 3 is a drawing app focused on the strong yet beautiful feel of the East Asian ink brush which can be used to perform calligraphy, ink painting and more.
The drawing system that brings to life a feeling of silky fluent and delicate painting now allows an even wider range of expression thanks to the addition of "water" and "color". Providing a new simple and intuitive user interface, this app is designed to be optimal for performing Zen art.
Simply start the app and you are immediately ready to draw. Anyone, anywhere, can create superb Zen art with this app’s uniquely rich expressiveness. You can also easily share and edit your calligraphy and images with other apps using the Export functionality. Skillfully use the rich background style templates to create and share atmospheric artwork.
- The drawing system simulates a 3D model of an East Asian ink brush to enable varied and natural styles of brush handling.
- The adjustable amount of water makes it possible to create expressions ranging from powerful edge effects to "nijimi" (bleeding) and "bokashi" (blurring) where colors mix.
- You can also enjoy creating colored-ink paintings as well as watercolor paintings by making use of 30 selected traditional Japanese colors.
- The layer functionality allows more flexible editing.
- Import photos to add text to them or use them as background images for tracing.
- Create fascinating artwork with a rich assortment of background style templates.
- Traditional Japanese paper templates provide an authentic feel.
- 5 main tools (ink brush, color brush, water brush, eraser, blotting paper).
- 10 levels of thickness.
- 5 levels of water (not applicable to blotting paper).
- 10 levels of ink tone (not applicable to water brush and blotting paper).
- Color palette with 30 colors.
- 88 background style templates.
- Drying functionality (fast dry, instant dry, adjustable natural dry).
- Layers functionality (import image / color adjustment / move / rotate / scale / reverse left and right / white transparency / gradation effect).
- Guide display (character guides / partition guides / grid guides).
- Movable toolbar (top / bottom / left / right).
- Canvas zoom (zoom in and out with pinch gestures).
- Undo / redo (5 levels).
- Export functionality (formats: JPEG, PNG, transparent PNG (no background)).
- Support for Apple Pencil (1st and 2nd generation).
- Support for 3D Touch (where available: iPhone 6S - XS).
- Drawing tool selection (finger and stylus / stylus only).
- Adjustable brush pressure sensitivity (5 levels, with supported stylus only).
- Adjustable tilt sensitivity (5 levels, with supported stylus only).
- Gesture functionality (pinch zoom and drag, zoom toggle with 2-finger tap).
- 3D brush display (enable / disable).
- Pointer display (enable / disable).
- 5 levels of canvas resolution with a maximum of 3072 x 4096 pixels (the higher resolutions do not work on devices with lower specs).
- Added functionality to export square images.
- Improved image smoothness.
- Fixed a problem where layer thumbnails were sometimes not displayed.
- Adjusted the user interface.
Ratings and Reviews
Great improvement over Zen 2
This iteration is really a fantastic improvement.
Just to add to the wish list
1. please add a save guard to the trash can, ie. like another yes/no step before everything just vanishes
2. It is great to be able add additional layers, and to import images; however there seems to be no way to edit the new layers, or be able to draw on them?
Badly butchered app
Zen Brush 2 improved on a great simple program with an intuitive interface by adding multiple undos. Sadly, ZenBrush 3 loses whatever made the original program so excellent. The dry brush effect so brilliantly nuanced, textured and expressive in Zen Brush 2 has been softened and weakened in ZenBrush 3. Equally, the intuitive interface of version 2 has been complicated and butchered in Zen Brush 3. For instance, the Layer function in v3 leaves you scratching your head wondering how the application of something so intuitive and straightforward in so many other apps like Procreate and ArtRage could be so badly blundered that it is unintelligible. That is a shame. I’ve always seen ZenBrush as being much more than a calligraphy app. The expressive quality of the brush strokes in the original lent themselves to abstract art or illustrative purposes. That expressive flexible utility has been blunted in version 3.
Amazing app held back by major omission
This is an awesome, unique, and fun app that easily could have been a must buy for every artist where it not for one glaring, major omission. There is no way to import photos or files. I’ve used countless apps on IPad and PC for art for years and every single one of them has the ability to import works in progress.
If that basic function is added I will gladly change my rating to five stars and consider this app mandatory for anyone interested in art on the iPad. As it stands, though, this is more of an entertaining novelty than a serious tool.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- P SOFTHOUSE Co., Ltd.
- 168.5 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 P SOFTHOUSE Co., Ltd. Developed by PSOFT MOBILE
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.