Teach Your Monster to Read is an award-winning phonics and reading game that’s helped millions of children learn to read.
• Parents have seen significant improvements in their children’s literacy within weeks.
• Teachers claim it’s a wonderful and captivating classroom tool that helps their students learn to read.
• Kids love making their monster and teaching it read. They learn through play.
Children create a monster and take it on a magical journey over three extensive games - meeting a host of colorful characters along the way and improving their reading skills as they progress.
• Covers the first two years of learning to read, from matching letters and sounds to enjoying little books.
• Designed in collaboration with leading academics and game designers.
• Complements all synthetic phonics programmes used in schools.
• Suitable for school and home use.
• Includes all 3 games! First Steps, Fun With Words and Champion Reader!
The game is rigorous and works with any phonics scheme so it’s perfect for use in school and at home. It’s developed in collaboration with leading academics at the University of Roehampton.
The app is commonly used in preschool, primary school, kindergarten and first grade as an interactive teaching resource.
PROCEEDS GO TO THE USBORNE FOUNDATION CHARITY
Teach Your Monster to Read has been created by Teach Monster Games Ltd. which is a subsidiary of The Usborne Foundation. The Usborne Foundation is a charity founded by children’s publisher, Peter Usborne MBE. Harnessing research, design and technology, we create playful media addressing issues from literacy to health. Funds raised from the game go back into the charity, to help us become sustainable and build new projects.
• Complements Phases 2-5 of UK Government-approved Letters and Sounds and other major systematic synthetic phonics programmes.
• Absolutely no in-app purchases, hidden costs or in-game adverts. Perfect for kids!
• Suitable for ages 3-6.
• Designed in collaboration with reading experts from Roehampton University.
• Available on iPad and iPhone.
REVIEWS FROM TEACHERS AND PARENTS
"This game is the absolute best quality phonics game I have come across for educational and fun value."
Marie Lewis, Rochdale
“My class have reaped loads of benefits from using the programme and the difference in some of their reading skills has been dramatic."
Maria Andrews, Foundation Phase Teacher
"This is a fabulous game. I'm not kidding when I say that my daughter essentially learned all her letter sounds using First steps, with relatively minimal input from me! Great for parents to practise their letter sounds too."
Teach Monster Games Ltd is a subsidiary of The Usborne Foundation, a registered charity in England and Wales, charity number 1121957.
• As voted by you, a blue tentacled monster has made it's way into the game. You can find these monster body parts when you make a monster or customise your monster during gameplay.
• A thunder of dragons has flown in to our third game. These fire-breathers are spread across many planets, so watch out!
• A beautiful little animation has been added to the start screen, bringing warmth to the welcome.
• The buttons on the title screen are now bigger, making it easier to read them on small devices.
• The way the game exits when the app is closed has been improved. We've increased the time before the game goes back to the main menu, so you can continue where you left off if you've only exited the app for a few moments.
• Small bugs have been blasted away!
We love to read your success stories and we want to know what you’d like added to the game. We are a charity with a mission to improve children's literacy, so we want to make this game as great as it can possibly be. Please leave a review, we read every one!
Ratings and Reviews
Effective and fun!
When my 4 year old daughter began using this game she loved it and didn't want to put it down. When she started she knew all the letters of her alphabet and many sounds. Within the first two months she was reading simple words (CVC). By the fourth month she was reading simple sentences. By 9 months she had completed finished all three levels of the game and could read proficiently at a 2nd grade level (about 550 lexile). I combined this game with Usborne Books & More's Very First Reading Set, which progresses using the same sounds/words as each part of the game.
The only downsides of this game are: as an American some of our pronunciations are different than how they are taught in the game (just a few words, but I enjoy hearing the accents of the narrator and characters), and single sounds/parts of the game cannot be focused on for further practice; the entire level has to be repeated. With my daughter I made up flash cards to practice her sounds and tricky words, but being able to select a letter/letter combination/word to repeat would be a nice feature. Overall, though, I give this game 5 stars for being FUN and very EFFECTIVE. I recommend this to everybody!
Developer Response ,
Hi Emp Zog, thanks for the review. We have also just made a new Practice Mode for you. Go to the home screen of the app and you can play with any letter sound on many of the different mini games - that way you can pick your favourite, or things that your player needs extra practice with. Thanks, Alex
I am a homeschooling momma and my 6 year old daughter is loving this app. She keeps telling me how much fun it is. I have noticed her using the sounds she learns during the game, later during story time and lessons. One concern was the limited practice for each sound but the new added practice material is fantastic. I love the ability to pick any 1-6 sounds she needs to work on.
I only have 2 issues: 1. is the level of background noise compared to the sound of the letters. Some are difficult to hear. And turns it into a guessing game. And 2. I wish there was a spot to press for them to repeat the word or sound being asked for. I like to try out the game and noticed the third level has this feature but level 2 does not.
Developer Response ,
We're really pleased that your daughter is benefitting from the app. You can change the music volume level, or switch it off altogether, within the app settings (tap the cog wheel). If you feel your daughter might need extra practice on certain letter sounds that she might have skipped past, you can enter the Practice area (orange button off the home screen) and select specific letter sounds to work on. Thanks for the feedback and review! Alex
Homeschool Mom Thrilled with App, but...
We have been using this app for a couple of weeks and we love it. My daughter struggles with reading, and her progress with TYMtR has been incredible. She enjoys all the games and is motivated to play. My only complaint is that the “Stat” feature is not working for her profile. On my account I made two student profiles one called “Mom” so I could test the app out to see if it was worth letting my daughter try it, and one in my daughter’s name. I have no problems accessing the Stats for the “Mom” profile, but for about a week, I have not been able to access my daughter’s stats. I would like to be able to use those stats to help her work on problem areas and to determine if she is progressing too fast through the levels. I emailed tech support, but was told that it may be a server issue with the influx of users and to try at different times of day, but no matter the day or time, the Stats are not available for my daughter’s profile but work fine on the other profile. Fixing this issue would make this app a solid 5 star review.
Developer Response ,
Hi there, thanks for the review. We're delighted that your daughter has been learning to read via this game. For the stats (accessible via web account only), we've been made aware of a technical issue some users have been experiencing, and this has now been rectified. Also, did you know we have a Practice mode on the app, where you can work on those specific areas? We hope this turns your experience from a 4 star to a 5 star! :)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.