Designed for iPad
One of the most powerful music creation tools for iOS: modular synth (+AU), MIDI sequencer and tracker.
SunVox is one of the most powerful music creation tools for iOS. It is a small and fast cross-platform modular synthesizer with pattern based sequencer (tracker).
[ Key features ]
• Modular interface.
• Powerful microtonal sequencer.
• Highly optimized synth algorithms.
• Support of 16/24/32bit WAV, AIFF and XI samples.
• XM (FastTracker) and MOD (ProTracker, OctaMED) import.
• Multitrack WAV export.
• MIDI import/export.
• MIDI IN/OUT.
• Mic/Line recording (using the Sampler).
• Audio Unit Extension (AUv3 instrument/effect), Audiobus.
• Generative music features: random selection of notes, random values of controllers, probability effects.
• It's possible to use SunVox engine in your own applications using the free library for developers.
• It is also available for other systems (see the site).
[ Brief instruction ]
The main menu - button with the SunVox icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
To connect one module (source) to another (destination): first touch on the source, second touch on the destination.
Official SunVox homepage, user manual, video tutorials:
Found a bug? Have some questions? Just write me directly: email@example.com
The answer comes immediately!
[ Built-in synthesizers & effects ]
• DrumSynth with 120 unique synthetic drum sounds;
• FM synthesizer;
• Multisample instrument;
• SpectraVoice (FFT-based synthesizer for warm atmospheric sounds);
• Side Chain Compressor;
• Echo & Reverb;
• Equalizer & Filters;
• Loop (for glitch effects);
• Vocal Filter (for human voice simulation);
• Vorbis Player;
• Pitch Detector;
• Pitch Shifter;
• and more ...
[ Jordan Rudess about this app ]
Sunvox is a serious music application. I am personally running it on my iphone. In the overcrowded world of music apps, Sunvox stands out as both unique and powerful. If you are a musician and own an iphone, you owe it to yourself to try this amazing application!
v2.1c: bug fixes.
* Loop: new controller "On NoteON" (restart with transition to zero iteration (record);restart current iteration); see simple_examples/loop4.sunvox;
* bug fixes.
* now the interface is displayed in high resolution; if you want to switch back to the normal low resolution mode (on some devices this will increase the FPS) - go to the Preferences -> Interface -> Low resolution;
* Preferences -> Audio -> Additional options: new option "minimize the amount of system-supplied signal processing" (measurement mode);
* high resolution icons;
* high resolution fonts with fractional scaling; you can disable these features in Preferences -> Interface -> Fonts;
* sound engine optimization;
* Distortion: new type "saturation" (adding odd harmonics) + five of its variations;
* MultiSynth: new option "Output port number = random" (three different algorithms are available);
* Loop: new controller "Length unit" (line/128;line;line/2;line/3;tick;ms;Hz);
* Loop: new controller "Maximum buffer size" (in seconds) to protect against allocating too much memory;
* Loop: the maximum of the "Repeat" controller has been increased to 128 (128 = repeat endlessly);
* new curve types for ADSR and FMX modules: rect; smooth rect; 2-bit (linear); 3-bit; 4-bit; 5-bit;
* module editor menu: new function "Mute/Solo buttons" to show/hide the Bypass/Mute/Solo buttons under each module;
* musical keyboard: the new panel with additional functions and settings; to open it - increase the height of the keyboard and press the appeared "+" button;
* musical keyboard settings: type (classic, uniform, free (any frequency)), number of rows, key width, color inversion, autorepeat;
* new way to edit a pattern - drawing with a brush; go the pattern editor menu and select "Draw" - this will open the pattern drawing tools;
* for a more detailed description of working with a brush, see https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/manual.php#pdraw
* new features in the pattern editor menu: Copy to brush; Reverse; Draw (open pattern drawing tools);
* Preferences -> Timeline: new option "Hexadecimal track numbers";
* Preferences -> Toolbars: the buttons on the horizontal dividers can be customized here; see https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/manual.php#toolbars
* pattern editor menu -> Remap: module number -1 = all modules;
* more detailed pattern names after the live recording;
* new pattern effect (column EE): 35 - bind MIDI OUT message XX (0 - Program Change; 1 - Channel Pressure; 2 - Pitch Bend Change) to controller YY (0 - OFF; 0x80 - MIDI controller 0; 0x81 - MIDI controller 1...); for the specified module only;
* new special pattern command: "XX" - stop the module, clear its internal buffers and put it into standby mode;
* new keyboard shortcuts (unassigned by default) that open the corresponding tool windows in the pattern editor:
* cyclic shift;
* set effect;
* new keyboard shortcuts (unassigned by default) for the pattern editor:
* clear pattern;
* shrink pattern /2;
* expand pattern *2;
* slice by cursor;
* pattern properties;
* show/hide CCEEXXYY columns;
* insert a special command "Stop the Module" (XX);
* new keyboard shortcuts for working with the brush:
* CTRL+E - play current note (in the pattern editor) and copy it to the brush;
* CTRL+L - play the notes of the current line (in the pattern editor) and copy it to the brush;
* play the 1st line of the brush (unassigned by default);
* сopy selected area of the pattern to the brush (unassigned by default);
* CTRL+G - paste from the brush;
* new modules in the instruments/ and effects/ folders;
* new examples:
* SunVox Compo 2022.02 winners: fuzion_mixer & Logickin - Synthonic Voyage, RobloxFan75000 - Hypermatic, PhilipBergwerf - We want Peace;
* NightRadio - Cycles of Light;
* updated version of SunVox library for developers: https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/sunvox_lib.php
* bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
The Swiss knives of… knives, if knives were music applications
There are a very select group of audio apps that I install on every new device before any other apps. SunVox is definitely one of those apps!
Tracker functionality isn’t everybody’s cup of tea, but the modular wiring and multitude of modules are really the star of the show. You can create just about any type of Synth and fx combo you can think of in a very lightweight environment.
I’ve been a big fan of SunVox for a long time. Many apps have come along since I first tried SunVox. Most have been relegated to being reinstalled once in a while, only to be uninstalled to clear out clutter. SunVox never leaves my devices, and it gets used very often for sound design and generative audio.
Had it since the original iPad. Still love it!
This was the first music production app I got on my original ipad like 12 years ago and I still use it from time to time today! It’s incredibly robust and filled with features and if you have a little imagination, you can figure out how to create all kinds of sounds with this thing. I imagine it would be a Helpful way to learn about modular synthesis and trackers. One of my long running all time favorite mobile music production apps and I am still amazed that it was created by a single guy (much like NanoStudio). Cubasis was created by one of the industry’s biggest players and it still feels so clunky and unusable to me…. Anyway, definitely get this, you won’t regret it!
SunVox is amazing!!
Yes this app won’t cost you much money, it’s free on Mac, PC, Linux and even Raspberry Pi if you really want to try before buying. I was trying to make a stand alone box running it on Raspberry Pi but then I realized it works so much better on my Phone and this was 3 years ago. It can do so much and continues to get developed to be even better year after year. Some people don’t care for Trackers well I don’t either and I don’t use it often. I has infinite possibilities for sound creation. Works flawlessly on everything from my old 2011 iPad 2 running the latest SunVox version to my new 2017 iPad Pro.
I’m just resending my same review as before because the iOS review system is stupid!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Alexander Zolotov
- 94.5 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Alexander Zolotov
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.