GarageBand turns your iPad, and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards, guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone, or a guitar and instantly record a performance with support for up of 32 tracks. Use the Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs. Audio Unit Extensions in iOS 14 allow you to play, record and mix third-party instruments or effects right into GarageBand. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record to capture your performance
Play your iPad, and iPhone, like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy Touch Instrument
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps & stompboxes
• Use 3D Touch to play keyboard sounds with polyphonic aftertouch*
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly into GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions**
Drummer for iOS
• Add virtual session drummers to your song, who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic, electronic drummers and percussionists***
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric, and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops****
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favorite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher, and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
• Share your songs using email or Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud*****
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro X project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* Polyphonic aftertouch is available on iPhone 6s or later.
** Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
*** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
**** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
***** Sharing to Facebook and YouTube requires iMovie.
This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I like this app a lot and I honestly think that once I get better at producing music, that this could be a go to for me until I get to a professional stage in my career. The only problem is that there aren’t a lot of sound packs to choose from and it kind of gets boring after a while hearing the same sounds over and over again in almost all of your songs. So I think there should be more sound packs to choose from and that there should be more loops as well cause anytime I look through there it’s always very repetitive and boring. I also think there should be a quick tutorial cause I’ve had a lot of friends delete this app just because it was hard to navigate through and figure out what was what and where they could edit certain loops or some of their own samples at. It doesn’t have to be suuuper long but it should just go over the basic aspects of the app and where everything is at so that it’s easier for new producers to find stuff. Overall I’d recommend downloading this app cause it’s worth the while (at least until it gets old and boring but I still get on sometimes) I almost forgot to add that I also think it’d be a nice feature if you were to add a hidden loops list where you can remove loops from the general list and specific genres and things so that whenever you’re looking for some good loops you don’t come across the ones you know you’ll never use or just don’t vibe with.
Allow me to start by saying that I’ve been using GarageBand for 3+ years and it is beyond comparison. Out of hundreds of apps on the App Store, it is by far the most user friendly I have ever been able to use. As somebody who was teaching themselves how to write music, the interface is almost always very helpful and easy to understand, even if you aren’t very knowledgeable of music in the classical sense. Although not everything about it is completely obvious, it is absolutely worth it to spend time playing around with and discovering new tricks and settings, that aid or streamline the music writing process. That being said, if there is anything about GarageBand that I don’t like, it is the sustain pedal glitch. It’s the only thing I would consider to be a flaw that truly compromises the effectiveness of the app. When adding/deleting/edited the lengths of sustains on music (particularly piano, as that is what I work with most often), I’ve frequently ran into a myriad of recurring issues; sometimes a sustain will still play even after it’s been deleted, or after shortening a sustain pedal it will still play at its original length. All in all, however much I dislike the issues with the usage of the sustain pedal feature, any grievance I have with that is dwarfed by my admiration of this app and my appreciation of the undoubtably talented people who put energy into making music so easy.
Apple PLEASE read!
Hello my name is Caleb.
I’ve been using garage band for many years now and I’ve always loved it from the start however there is a problem that I’ve run into recently that I hope you can fix. It’s a strange problem actually but garage band still deserves 5 stars anyway. So when I started using garage band there wasn’t as much content as there is now, less then a third probably. I was easily inspired to make music and could make neat catchy tunes every other day but now it’s harder to do that because there’s SO MUCH content it’s overwhelming because besides the five main things (guitar, vocals, drums, strings, and piano) there so many sounds like synths, bass, leads and such that I never know where to begin and I lose all interest in my creation, but I think that if you put a “sample” button on each sound so that we can hear just a single note at middle C or -1C for bass that would instantly get rid of the problem. Most of the time I know what sound I want but I can’t find it and I have to select a sound, play my song, and see if it’s the right one which takes to long with there being hundreds of choices. There might be this sound sample feature already and I just don’t know how to use it but if not please consider adding it. It would help so much and I’m sure I’m not the only one who would thank you.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Inc.
- 1.6 GB
Requires iOS 14.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2020 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.