Apple Books lets you lose yourself in the best books and audiobooks right on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch. You’ll find bestsellers, classics, up-and-coming authors, and more — all ready to instantly download and enjoy.
• Selection: Explore millions of books and audiobooks from every category including fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, thrillers, romance, kids’ books, comics, and more.
• Book Store: Check out Top Charts, and find new releases, limited-time offers, and recommendations for you, updated every week.
• Audiobooks: Discover great audiobooks read by actors, authors, and other memorable voices.
• Free samples: Preview books and audiobooks while you browse, and download free samples — sometimes before they’re available anywhere else.
• Want to Read: Keep track of books and audiobooks you’d like to read next by adding them to your Want to Read collection.
• Audiobooks app for Apple Watch: Listen to your favorite audiobooks on your next hike, run, or exercise session, right from your wrist.
• Customize your reading experience: Choose between a selection of fonts and easy-to-read page colors. Use Auto-Night Theme and adjust your screen brightness to make reading more comfortable on your eyes. Enabling Scrolling View to move continuously through books instead of flipping pages.
• Access any of the books you purchase from Apple Books on all of your devices.
• Family Sharing makes it easy for you and up to five family members to share your books and audiobooks purchases.
• Organize your books and PDFs into personal collections that will appear on all of your devices.
• Access bookmarks, highlights, notes, and your current page on all of your devices.
Requirements & Store Availability
• The Book Store is available in many countries. The selection of available books varies by country.
• Downloading content from Books or iCloud requires an Apple ID and Internet access.
• Adding books and PDFs from outside the Book Store to the Books app requires they be DRM-free. Some PDF documents may not be compatible with Books.
Ratings and Reviews
Scroll Reading Issues with iOS 16
Frustration with iOS 16 disfunction leaves me wondering if the upgrade was tested before being released. I agree with the previous reviewer and won’t re-address those same concerns. However, I will address the book mark and scroll reading issues. The slightest touch while scroll reading activates the red book mark which (because I’m reading) needs to be cleared. Sometimes touching the red bookmark is enough to clear it, but other times you have to open the Themes and Settings menu and remove the bookmark there as well. This seems to be more sensitive with iOS 16 than previous versions.
Even more frustrating, though; when using the scroll reading feature near the end of a chapter the (scroll) screen jumps ahead - sometimes paragraphs ahead, sometimes pages ahead, sometimes to the end of the current chapter, or other times to the end of the book. Imagine trying to find where you were reading last when that happens. (An opportunity to use the search feature as long as you have the exact verbiage.)
Anyway, to fix the jumping scroll issue I change from scroll to page turning or sometimes I have decreased the font size, and then sometimes I have to close the book because it won’t reload after a font size change. And since the pages are renumbered you can’t just go to your last page and continue reading. Please FIX this bug in the near future. Thank you.
Problems with 16.2 update.
I’m a fan of Apple Books. I moved from Kindle a while ago even with large set of books I’d marked up in that app. I got used to the iPadOS 16 interface. I appreciated fixing the sensitive bookmarking and poor handling of highlight colors in the first update. But the latest (16.2) has some new (or newly discovered) dealbreakers that have me considering going back to kindle. One is the handling of Notes. They appear to have been deprecated to a simple annotation of highlights… I can’t filter for Notes or find them in anyway (they’re not even identified in the list of highlights). I have to scroll through the book looking for them… crazy. (Also, as an aside, it would be nice if I could filter on highlights of specific color.)
And the biggest issue that I just stumbled across is I can’t highlight some parts of the text (so far it has always been at the end of a paragraph… but not the end of all paragraphs). I actually can’t tell if the highlight is invisible or just not there… though when I select the same area and try to highlight it again I don’t see the “Remove” option, which makes me suspect it’s just not added.
I feel like this is piling on, but man o man… what a horrible update!
Works, but still lots of bugs, and slowly degrading
I enjoy reading books with this app, but there are still a lot of glitches from my last review. 1: light reading books that come in volumes are still not stacking up for some reason. The author’s name hasn’t changed for the series, so the is no reason it can’t consolidate them to one group rather than have each book separated. 2: sometimes when the page, it goes to a blank page. I have to swipe a previous page or two and then go back to the said page. Lastly: both my iPhone 12 and iPad Air app crashes sometimes. Not too sure why this hasn’t been addressed, but it’s been years since the app came out. The more software continues to advance, it should reduce the problems, not create more. Would like to see my money’s worth purchasing books from this app be put to use on updating the app (REAL updates). It would be much appreciated. But I believe my words are being unheard. Some books I pre-ordered are not showing up. When I hit “View Item” it says that the said book is no longer available in this country or region. Mind the fact, that I waited over a month for the book and now I can’t read it. Not too sure if it’s due to technical issues or incompetent functions. All I know is that this app is getting worse and no one is fixing it. My advice to those looking at this app, keep what you got and find another iBook app. This was once at the top of it’s peak and now it’s falling fast.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Financial Info
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Search History
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Inc.
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- ©2022 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.