Translate lets you quickly and easily translate your voice and text between any combination of 11 languages. Designed to be the best and easiest-to-use app for translating conversations, Translate combines high-quality translations with an intuitive design, so that having a conversation is natural and simple.
• Conversations - In the Conversation tab, tap the single microphone button to speak, and automatic language detection will transcribe what you say in chat bubbles on the correct side of the conversation.
• On-device mode - Enable a fully offline experience in Translate and for downloaded languages. Keep your translations private without needing to turn off your internet connection.
• Voice translation - Translate your voice from one language to another. The app detects which of the two selected languages you’re speaking and provides the translated text and audio in the other language.
• Text translation - Text translation is fast, simple, and intuitive. All supported languages include their keyboards so you don’t have to download or manually switch between them.
• Auto Translate - Translate speech without tapping the microphone button in a conversation. Auto Translate automatically detects when you start speaking and when you stop, so the other person can just respond.
• Face to face view - Change the conversation view when chatting face to face so that each person can see the conversation from their own side.
• Favorites - For phrases you use frequently and want to keep, save them to your Favorites for easy access later.
• Dictionary - Tap a word in a completed translation to see the definition in the built‑in dictionary.
Translate currently supports translation between any combination of these languages:
• Chinese (Mandarin - China Mainland)
• Chinese (Mandarin - Taiwan)
• English (US)
• English (UK)
• French (France)
• German (Germany)
• Italian (Italy)
• Portuguese (Brazil)
• Spanish (Spain)
Ratings and Reviews
Offline mode just doesn’t work
When the app works, it is actually pretty good. The integration with iOS is nice, and the quality of translations, even offline ones, is pretty good.
But, the offline (on-device) mode has some serious problems. It used to work most of the time, but there has always been a problem where it insists on re-downloading the dictionaries. Now, it has recently decided that it can only download one dictionary. Attempting to download a second results in the first being deleted, and there’s never a point where it actually functions correctly.
Even when it used to function, it would demand downloading a new copy of the dictionary at inconvenient times. Do you want to right click on some text for a web page or in an email and translate it? Great. One time. The second time, it demands downloading the dictionaries again. And it does this over and over so that the app is essentially unusable offline (which is where I value it the most).
Finally, the support link on the store page is a joke. It just takes you to Apple’s generic support page for its devices. Nothing about the Translate app at all. No place to file a bug report. No place to seek assistance for it.
This app should be great. When it works, it is great, but it’s completely dropped the ball on the little things which are so vital to making it work consistently and, therefore, usefully. I guess it’s back to Google Translate until they fix this.
Aren’t apps supposed to work?
Literally nothing happens when I type in the text to translate and press the “go” button. The text simply disappears from the screen and doesn’t show any sort of translation. It doesn’t even show the original text anymore. It’s like the app resets every time you enter text and press “go.” The text disappears and nothing happens after that. Even trying to press the microphone to speak the translation doesn’t work because the microphone button doesn’t seem to do anything either. It won’t even initiate a recording to translate.
It’s like this is a dud app developed solely to take up space. I followed all the directions and enabled all the permission, and still the app is a dud. Apparently it works for some people but a lot of people can’t get it to work for any language. I’ve deleted and redownloaded the languages, and deleted and redownloaded the app itself, and still it doesn’t work.
It sometimes worked on my old iPhone 7, but has never worked on my iPhone XR. Maybe it only works on the newest iPhone models? As Apple’s way of forcing us to upgrade to the latest line of iPhones. But I’m not doing that. I’ll just go back to iTranslate or Google Translate instead. Those apps may collect data on me but at least they always worked when I needed them to.
I am using this for French, in conjunction with other apps and materials, and it does a pretty decent job of translating things well. Those are the good things. The bad things are…it’s not user friendly at all. If you’re working on something and have to get out of the app for more than about 5 mins, everything just disappears. There are no options to save anything, other than to add it to favorites, which doesn’t really work as a file. Another annoying thing is how the font jumps from normal size to giganto lettering, flipping the screen horizontally and upside down, without me touching anything but trying to scroll down ro read what I translated. When I tried to get it back to the previous screen, it somehow deleted ALL of the conversations and translations I had “stored” into favorites, and I only hit something that looked like a back-arrow. Super frustrating-I spent more time trying to figure out how the app worked, than doing my lessons. Bottom line: it mostly stinks and I deleted it. Lol
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Inc.
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Apple Inc