Notes is the best place to jot down quick thoughts or to save longer notes filled with checklists, images, web links, scanned documents, handwritten notes, or sketches. And with iCloud, it's easy to keep all your devices in sync, so you’ll always have your notes with you.
• Add attachments - photos, maps, web links, documents, and more. Scan paper documents with the built-in document scanner.
• Secure notes containing sensitive or personal data with a password.
• Create checklists. Make a grocery list, a wish list, or a to-do list, then tap to check-off items as you go.
• Apply different text styles, such as heading or body, bulleted lists, and more.
• Add tables to quickly organize information.
• Use your finger, or Apple Pencil on a compatible iPad, to sketch right in your note. Choose from a variety of brush styles and colors, and add lines and grids to a note for easier writing and drawing.
Organize and search
• Search for text in notes, your handwriting, and even inside scanned documents and photos like receipts or bills.
• Keep your notes in folders and subfolders, and sort them in the order you prefer.
• Use tags as a fast and flexible way to categorize and organize your notes. Add one or more tags by typing or handwriting them directly in the note - like #activities or #cooking.
• A Tag Browser in the sidebar lets you tap any tag or combination of tags to quickly view tagged notes.
• Create Custom Smart Folders based on one or more tags.
• Collaborate on entire shared folders or on specific shared notes.
• Mention friends to notify them of important updates and link them directly to a shared note.
• View edit times and dates with highlighted text color-coded to match collaborators in the note.
• See what others added into a shared note while you were away with Activity view, a day-to-day list summary of activity from each collaborator.
Take notes anywhere
• Just swipe with an Apple Pencil or finger from the bottom right corner on any compatible iPad to start a Quick Note outside the app. You can also use Fn-Q (Globe-Q) on a keyboard.
• Add deep links from an app or website to a Quick Note to mark your place.
• Quick Notes can be created on compatible iPad and Mac systems, and viewed and edited on iPhone.
Certain features are available only in select languages and regions.
Ratings and Reviews
Best Note Taking App, But…
This is the best note taking app I have used and I have tried five or six! It is perfectly organized and for a perfectionist like myself that is a huge need. I also like that I can back it up to my iCloud so that my notes are never lost. My only problem is that there aren’t undo and redo buttons. Apps like Microsoft Word have them and they are extremely useful! I can’t tell you how many times I delete half of a sentence realizing I shouldn’t have, deleted too much, or could’ve just copied and pasted it! Please add them!
Great note taking app idea, poor execution
I love all the notes app features however recently it has started to become extremely glitchy. Strongly thinking about switching to another note taking app just because notes has become so bad. There are a few main glitches I get on a daily basis: 1)random yellow lines just appearing 2)when I move a drawing it goes somewhere else than I put it 3) pencil will be in eraser mode but won’t erase, just will move me around the screen. Then when I switch to pencil and back still does it. Have to force close app to get it to work again. 4) dropping pictures in will sometimes send them to the top of the note, sometimes where I placed it 5) Will change my eraser settings while multitasking to pixel eraser instead of object eraser even though I always keep it on object eraser 6) hitting the “go back” button causes notes to crash frequently 7) when I paste a drawing, it will unselect it so I can’t move it around and have to hit the back button (and risk crashing) these are off the top of my head there are several more I can’t think of now. If you wanted to know how frequently they occur you just have to listen for me swearing in my room.
Updates made search function useless
I have been putting off updating my iOS to 14/15 and finally updated my phone, but the notes app has changed. I use the notes app a LOT and have many notes that I want to search through using the search bar to find specific phrases, however after updating, this feature has changed for the worse. Now, when I use the search bar to type in a specific phrase I want to go to in any of my notes like “the birthday party” it shows the highlighted phrase in multiple separate notes, but when I click on the specific instance I want to be taken to, it does not go to that part of the note. It takes me to only the note with a given phrase but highlights every word in the phrase separately inside the note like “the” and “birthday” so I cannot go directly to where I need to be which is “the birthday party”. This is such an issue for me because I use the notes app a lot but now it is very annoying and basically useless for me as I want to be taken to the specific phrase not every single word of my search. Why did the update do this? This is convoluted and not user friendly.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Inc.
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Apple Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.