Pixelmator Photo is a photo editor unlike any other. It features a collection of nondestructive, desktop-class color adjustments. A set of gorgeous presets inspired by analog photography. A magical Repair tool to remove unwanted objects. Full support for editing RAW images. Artificial intelligence that automatically improves photos like a pro photographer. And it's designed exclusively for iPad, bringing the most native and intuitive editing experience imaginable.
Powerful tools for improving your photos
• Edit photos using a collection of advanced, nondestructive color adjustments, specially designed to preserve detail and naturally improve photos.
• Take advantage of full RAW support to edit high-resolution RAW photos from your DSLR camera or iPhone.
• Effortlessly remove unwanted objects using the incredible Repair tool.
• Crop, straighten, and correct perspective with an easy-to-use Crop tool.
• Use groundbreaking machine learning to automatically enhance photos, adjust lighting, white balance, and colors, apply presets, and even improve the composition of your photos.
• Edit completely nondestructively, resetting changes made with any tool at any time you like without affecting other edits.
• Share edited photos back to your Photos library, export to a range of different formats, and easily share photos with others.
Desktop-class color adjustments
• Edit photos using a collection of powerful, desktop-class color adjustments.
• Follow all the changes you make in the beautiful live histogram.
• Improve exposure, contrast, brightness, highlights, and shadows using the Lightness adjustment.
• Adjust color saturation, vibrance, and hue with Hue & Saturation.
• Improve the balance of colors in the shadows, midtones, and highlights.
• Selectively adjust individual color ranges using the Selective Color adjustments.
• Quickly improve brightness, contrast, and color by setting black, white, and grey points using the Levels adjustment.
• Use the Curves adjustment to adjust lighting and color with incredible precision.
• Mix the balance of the red, green, and blue color channels to create intense color effects in your images.
• Replace any color with any other using the Replace Color adjustment.
• Create beautiful black and whites even from your color photos.
• Use the Fade adjustment to wash out the contrasts in your photo and give it a faded look.
• Add beautiful, film-style grain with the Grain adjustment.
• Use a range of additional adjustments, like Sharpen, Color Monochrome, Sepia, and Invert to make any photo stand out.
Groundbreaking artificial intelligence
• Use ML Enhance, trained on 20 million professional photos, to improve your photos like a pro photographer.
• ML Enhance automatically takes care of all the subtle improvements that go into every great shot — white balance, exposure, shadow, and highlight detail — so you can focus on adding your own creative finishing touches.
• Automatically fine-tune individual adjustments, like Lightness, White Balance, Selective Color, and Color Balance using the knowledge from the same 20-million-photo Core ML algorithm.
• Intelligently crop photos using the machine learning-powered ML Crop.
Stunning presets for film emulation, vintage looks, and more
• Pixelmator Photo includes extensive collections of presets inspired by different photography styles and designed for a variety of subjects.
• Create and save your own custom presets.
• The Black & White presets are based on classic black & white analog films for creating authentic monochrome shots.
• The Cinematic presets emulate the orange and teal look, letting you quickly add striking color contrasts.
• The Classic Films and Modern Films preset groups are based on some of the best-known and popular analog films from the past and present, creating subtle and tasteful analog photography looks.
• Use presets in the Landscape, Urban, and Night collections to quickly enhance your nature photos, city photography, and night shots.
This update fixes an issue with opening photos taken in Portrait mode.
Have any feedback about this update or Pixelmator Photo in general? We'd love to hear it at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Ratings and Reviews
This app is my favorite photo editor. It adds features that are missing from the native Photos app, and integrates with the Photos workflow very well. I love that you can use the share extension in the Photos app to edit a photo in Pixelmator Photo, and then replace the original photo (losslessly) in Photos with the edited version from Pixelmator Photo.
I think the app is clean and easy to use, too. It follows Apple’s design guidelines for iPad to a T, which makes it feel right at home alongside Apple’s own apps. I really like using it.
These are my initial impressions after using the app for the first time. I was hoping it would be a Lightroom replacement, but it’s not. It would need selective edits, brushes, batch editing, noise reduction, masking on the sharpening tool, photo organization tools and camera roll support at the very least. I can still use it in my workflow as a last stop to apply a filter. It would great for that because it has enough adjustment tools to fine tune the filter. I also like the idea of machine learning to supplement my creative process. It suggested a nice crop which made my model seem taller in the frame. I will be using that idea in the future! UI is great but would like to be able minimize an adjustment tool (on the right panel) so it’s out of the way when not in use. I would love for Pixelmator to replace Lightroom for me. I could be free of my Adobe subscription plan forever!
Magic heal works well, otherwise needs work
The first thing I tried with Pixelmator Photo was the Magic heal tool. It’s pretty magical when it works. Just scribble over things you want to disappear and they, usually, disappear. Sometimes you get a nasty smudge, so undo and try it slightly differently. Good stuff.
In terms of adjustment capabilities, it provides a solid set of capabilities, well-packaged and with lots of nice presets. It’s pretty easy to punch up a landscape or portrait in a matter of seconds.
Now, the not so good.
Strangely for a photo editing app, it doesn’t seem to be able to see my photos. It can link to file shares, like Dropbox and iCloud but where are my photos? Other apps do not have this problem.
Next, if you so much as look at an image you get a giant sized file — e.g. I have a 5MB high quality 20MP jpeg exported from a raw editor. Just looking at it causes a new 45MB file to appear.
Contrast this with a truly non-destructive editor that stores your adjustments in a side file and requires essentially no additional storage space.
These basics are so annoying that I don’t really care to look deeper into the program until they are fixed.
- UAB Pixelmator Team
- 165.2 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), and iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Pixelmator Team
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.