Seeing AI is a free app that narrates the world around you. Designed for the blind and low vision community, this ongoing research project harnesses the power of AI to open up the visual world and describe nearby people, text and objects.
Optimized for use with VoiceOver, the app enables you to recognize:
• Short Text - Speaks text as soon as it appears in front of the camera.
• Documents - Provides audio guidance to capture a printed page, and recognizes the text, along with its original formatting.
• Products - Scans barcodes, using audio beeps to guide you; hear the name, and package information when available. (works with iPhone 6 and later)
• People - Saves people’s faces so you can recognize them, and get an estimate of their age, gender, and emotions.
• Scenes (early preview) - Hear an overall description of the scene captured.
• Currency - Recognizes currency notes. (Requires iOS 11)
• Color - Identifies color.
• Handwriting - Reads handwritten text like in greeting cards
• Light - Generates an audible tone corresponding to the brightness in the surroundings.
• Images in other apps - Just tap “Share” and “Recognize with Seeing AI” to describe images from Mail, Photos, Twitter, and more.
• Photo browsing experience - Describes photos on your phone
Seeing AI is built to help you achieve more by leveraging the power of the cloud and artificial intelligence. As the research progresses, more channels may be added.
Check out tutorials with this YouTube playlist: http://aka.ms/SeeingAIPlaylist
Visit http://SeeingAI.com for more details
Recently honored by American Council of the Blind, American Foundation for the Blind's Helen Keller Achievement Award, CES Asia, Mobile World Congress, FCC Chairman's Awards for Advancements in Accessibility and AppleVis Hall of Fame.
Available in 70 countries including Albania, Argentina, Australia, Bhutan, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, European Union, Ghana, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Liberia, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, UAE, USA, UK and Zimbabwe. Gradually coming to more countries.
Supported on iPhone 5C, 5S and later; best performance with iPhone 6S, SE and later models.
Questions, feedback or feature requests? Email us at seeingai @ microsoft.com.
• The new World channel, available on devices with a LiDAR scanner running iOS 14, enables you to explore an unfamiliar space in 3D, using spatial audio. When wearing headphones, you will hear objects around you announced from their location in the room. You can also find a particular object by placing an audio beacon on it. We are keen to hear your feedback on this early experiment, and invite you to work with us as we explore this new area together with the community.
• On iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max, the haptic proximity sensor enables you to point the LiDAR scanner and feel the distance to things around you
• The main screen has been visually redesigned to improve contrast and widen the camera's field of view
• Improvements to image descriptions on the Scene channel, and when browsing photos on your phone
• Improved text recognition accuracy on the Document channel
• Seeing AI is now available in seven additional languages: Czech, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, and Swedish
• Plus, various bug fixes under the hood
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Absolutely love this app! Didn’t even think there was apps out here like this until today when I was on the phone with a friend. She told me that some of her friends use it and I had never heard of it. Only problem I have is with the face recognition… The age it gives you in face descriptions is way off. For example I used a photo of my boyfriend earlier that was in my camera roll and had it describe the photo. It said he was 35 based on facial looks. I might not see very well but I know my boyfriend is only 23 and doesn’t look nowhere near that old… That need some improving other than that the app is amazing! Thank you!
Developer Response ,
Hi Katie, Thank you for downloading and using the Microsoft Seeing AI app.
We hope that you find the app useful and we appreciate your comments regarding the facial recognition feature.
Quite often the light will affect the apps ability to accurately determine age. For example, bright, high-contrast light can artificially increase the age. Also, bright, overhead lighting will cast dark shadows on the eyes fooling Seeing AI into thinking the person is wearing glasses.
We are committed to continue improving Seeing AI with every update and feedback from users like yourself is very helpful.
fantastic app, glitchy but very good.
it might give the wrong color and it cant read hand-righting, this aside the light channel and text channels are fantastic. it will however tell you the color no problem if say your looking at a computer screen, but it's not very good at sky colors.
it's seen channel is getting better but it's a bit wonky to.
just an idea for the next update is give us the ability to read maps and weather radars and such. this could be implemented by getting the photo, and being able to explore it, say theres a text on the top left, right now it'll read that, and say theres a map legend on the right from the top going down, it'll read that no problem, but middle of the photo where the map and the colors are it's totally dead, does absolutely nothing. this could be revolutionary if your app could actually tell us the maps, it would not just help in weather, but if someone sends a blind person a map of a building they would be able to see the map no problem. it levels the playing-field at that point. thanks for such a great app, I use it almost daily.
Overall a very useful and important app
Update: someone recently asked me about useful apps for the blind. I told them that seeing AI app was like the Swiss Army knife for blind people. I think that is the Best way to describe this app.
I love several of the channels that this app provides. The product, document and short text are great. The document channel especially is great. I purchase another app a while back for $100 and this app works better. I love that I do not have to presss a button to take the picture.
I found the person channel fun, but not very useful. I do not find the color channel accurate. I have better success with tap tap See for colors. I used the color channel on a white shirt and when it was on the sleeves it would say grey and on the front or back of the shirt it would say brown.
The currency channel is just as good as the other apps available It is very accurate.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the ★★★★★ rating! We are very pleased that you are enjoying Microsoft Seeing AI app. The latest version (2.3) has improved features with a few experimental Channels for Scenes, Colors, and Handwriting --- Please visit www.SeeingAI.com for more information, updates, and tutorials.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Microsoft Corporation
- 301.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.